Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annotation in Baptism register margin - "NP"

Options
  • 19-03-2015 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, does anyone know what the annotation "NP" in the right margin next to the entry of a Catholic baptism might mean? It's in Mayo in 1833.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sorry I don't know the answer to your query but for other info on Latin terms in church records Family Search have a useful web page on the subject.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

Thanks, though these registers are in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I don't know, but wonder if it might be "non-parishioner".

I have seen instances of a child (usually the first in a family) being born in the mother's family home rather than in the couple's home - the young wife being helped through her first delivery by her mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

Thanks. This is the third child, born in the same parish - Kilmoremoy, Co Mayo - but the family is this time resident in a different townland... I wonder if that is related to your "non-parishioner" idea?

I probably should have added - there are two other NP annotations on baptisms on the same page, and looking back and forward a few pages in the register, it often is noted a couple of times a page

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Were they mostly males?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What about 'not present' - denoting that the mother wasn't present at the service?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

more likely 'no payment'; in earlier times the mother generally didn't attend the baptism as babies were baptised within a couple of days of birth.

Advertisement