Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Pagans around Moate (Midlands) area...??

Options
  • 19-03-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Would you be interested in a monthly Moot to get together & discuss Pagan issues etc?
    I've been involved in running similiar before but never in this area...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Not sure if Pagans are the same as Atheists but there is already a group who meet fairly regularly in the Radisson I think, sorry I don't have any more info than that..........

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Unreg, if you find out anything, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

martin1 wrote: »
    Not sure if Pagans are the same as Atheists but there is already a group who meet fairly regularly in the Radisson I think, sorry I don't have any more info than that..........
    Pagans are most definitely not the same as atheists.

Excuse my ignorance :confused:

Care to enlighten me ????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Atheists believe there is no God. Its in the name.

Pagans are theists, they believe in a God/Gods. Don't know much about paganism so I won't make further comment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Any Nihilists out there then?

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Paganism:
    a religion that has many gods or goddesses, considers the earth holy, and does not have a central authority

Atheism:
    a disbelief in the existence of deity

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

ABSOLUTELY right... Paganism is actually just about the oposite of Atheism!!
    Athiests do not believe in the existence of any Gods or Deity whereas Pagans believe in & worship multiple (& many different) Gods & Goddesses, Pantheons & Deity!! :)
    Very generally speaking most Pagans honour nature, balance, The Mother & Father as God & Goddess & also others depending on personal beliefs..

Itzy wrote:
    Unreg, if you find out anything, let me know.

Will do Itzy... Would you be interested in attending?

nice_guy80 wrote:

Nihilists?? never heard of that sorry...

• Advertisement

unreg999 wrote: »

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

They're more of a nietzsche market.

Ba-dum tish.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Will do Itzy... Would you be interested in attending?

I would just to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

nice_guy80 wrote: »

I'm a Hedonist. Is that the same thing ? .;)

I do find Satanism to be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Itzy wrote: »
    I do find Satanism to be interesting.

Aye. Satan is your only man.

feargale wrote: »
    Aye. Satan is your only man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism

Well, well,……………. the longer you live………etc. etc.

Thanks so much for enlightening me on Paganism

Now all I need is further education on Satanism, Nihilism, Hedonism

Must check in here more often !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

I find myself in a little bit of a crisis of faith recently maybe you can help me guys. I worship at the Iron Temple. I offer up the weights in Almighty Brodins name. Though when the weekend draws near I hear more clearly the false prophets words. "Reps for Jesus. Shots for Satan". At these times i find this prayer escape my lips all too easily. "Forgive me father for these gains Im about to receive". I dont know what to do...

I find myself in a little bit of a crisis of faith recently maybe you can help me guys. I worship at the Iron Temple. I offer up the weights in Almighty Brodins name. Though when the weekend draws near I hear more clearly the false prophets words. "Reps for Jesus. Shots for Satan". At these times i find this prayer escape my lips all too easily. "Forgive me father for these gains Im about to receive". I dont know what to do...

Do they serve a good pint in the Iron Temple? If so I'd say stay with it.
    The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. ;)

• Advertisement

This is relevant & on-topic how...??

Also taking the piss out of anyone's faith & beliefs. .. not cool... if you don't have anything relevant to add then don't add anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

Ok here we go then. Paganism as it is known no is a modern creation that has little to no relationship with any real faith that existed in the past. Half the beliefs are bastardized ideals common in every religion and the deities people say they believe in (When they say more than mother earth/gaia) are also a mish-mash of whatever gods from past religions that the person in question finds cool.

Lets looks past modern pagan nonsense for a second and suppose that some people out there do follow a genuine "pagan" faith. Faiths such as this will be extremely insular in nature and have values and tenets that will not coincide with other faiths making round table discussions or town hall meeting style get togethers just a place to pick a fight.

If you are looking to have a new age hippy shindig then good for you go for it. If you are genuinely trying to get people from very different faith systems to meet up and have a full on love-in then maybe think twice before moving ahead. Either way if you are trying to contact a specific audience you need to be a bit more specific in your posts. Perhaps some more detail might lead to more constructive posts and less mockery.

For those wondering about some of the stuff mentioned in the thread please feel free to review these links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_paganism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonism

I believe that brings things back on track nicely.

Ok, point taken. Sorry, I was in flippant mood, didn't mean to offend anyone. Truth to tell, while I don't subscribe to these beliefs, I see some merit in a system that is so at one with the natural world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MangoMom

I know this is a old post, but are you still looking to start a group in Moate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I don't know about pagans but there are plenty of Fagans!

Advertisement