Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergrad Psychology advice

Options
  • 19-03-2015 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Firstly, I'm really sorry because this has probably been answered but I've read through the sticky post and my head cannot process any more information I'm not looking for.

I'm a fifth year student and since last year I've had the idea in my head that I wanted to become a psychologist. Back then, I had no idea as to all the extra study become a psychologist entails, but since then I've realised that it's not so straight-forward. What really interests me about Psychology courses is learning about peoples behaviours/ feelings, why they're behaving/feeling that way etc and figuring out the best way to help them. I'm not that naive to know that that's all there is to it, obviously there's a lot more. But after reading the sticky post, I'm confused as to the different types.

I know the main ones, like clinical, counselling, sports, occupational etc but what does a psychoanalysist (I THINK that's what I saw??) and a psychotherapist?

Also, I saw that experience such as voluntarily working for Childline, Samaritans etc is imperative for getting into post grad courses, but then others say it's more about the theory you know.
    Do you need a masters AND a doctorate to become a psychologist? (I'm veering towards clinical psychologist at present)
    Is it a rewarding career for the work put in?

And one last question, I'm afraid I won't get the points necessary (I'd love to go to UCD, but 515 points) and I saw that UL are doing a Psychology & Sociology course which was 485 points last year. Has anyone studied this course? If so, your experience would be muchly appreciated. I saw that the university you study in doesn't really make a difference when it comes to employment, as long as it's accredited by the PSI, but which university would be the best, i.e. better lecturers etc?

I'm kind of unaware as to the daily procedures and tasks carried out by a psychologist and I guess my best bet would be to see a psychologist in action but I know that dealing with patients is extremely confidential, but generally do psychologists give work experience to second-level students? (I presumed no so I did my 5th year work experience in law)
    Is it generally hospital based or working in practices of their own?

As you can see, I don't really know much about it, and I want to get some more research before I go to college, study it for however many years it takes and decide I don't like it because I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

Thank you if you got this far for reading all of that - feedback would be hugely appreciated :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DalaiAlma

catb wrote: »
    I saw that experience such as voluntarily working for Childline, Samaritans etc is imperative for getting into post grad courses, but then others say it's more about the theory you know.

This type of experience is essential as it will enable you to develop the basic skills you need for working with vulnerable people. Rather than 'theory', the important thing is to reflect on what you've learned from your experience - this is a key skill to have in order to make a successful application for professional psychology training.
    Do you need a masters AND a doctorate to become a psychologist? (I'm veering towards clinical psychologist at present)

It depends on the type of psychologist you want to become. You must obtain a doctorate in clinical or counselling psychology to practise as a clinical or counselling psychologist, and although not a requirement most people who gain entry to these courses will have a Master's first. You currently need the MA in Educational Psychology to practise as an ed psych, but this is switching to doctoral level for all new intakes from September 2015.
    I'm afraid I won't get the points necessary (I'd love to go to UCD, but 515 points) and I saw that UL are doing a Psychology & Sociology course which was 485 points last year.

Always put the course you want, even if you don't think you'll get the points. As an additional option (in case you don't get the points), you could also put Arts as a choice and do psychology through Arts (NUIG and UCC offer this), and then do a graduate diploma in psychology to get your PSI accreditation.
    I saw that the university you study in doesn't really make a difference when it comes to employment, as long as it's accredited by the PSI, but which university would be the best, i.e. better lecturers etc?

That's right - the PSI accreditation is more important than which university it's from, although I would also add that getting a first or 2.1 in your degree is absolutely essential if you want to do clinical psychology. I dont think it's possible to comment on which university 'would be best' or has 'better lecturers', as that's very subjective and I only have experience of the undergrad course I attended, and everyone will have different experiences. So I think the best and simplest thing to do is pick the university that will suit you :)
    Generally do psychologists give work experience to second-level students? (I presumed no so I did my 5th year work experience in law)
    Is it generally hospital based or working in practices of their own?

Any work experience posts (e.g. voluntary assistant psychologist posts) that psychologists offer do stipulate that the applicant must have a degree in psychology. However work with organisations such as Childline or the Samaritans is very valuable and would be good to have on your CV when you graduate.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Take it one step at a time. Get your undergrad first. Here, you'll learn about research methods/stats, child development, group work, final year project, neuroscience and abnormal psychology. Your interests might change.
    Also, I saw that experience such as voluntarily working for Childline, Samaritans etc is imperative for getting into post grad courses, but then others say it's more about the theory you know.

Getting experience gives you some sense of what it's like to work on a service with a clinical/vulnerable population, particularly if it's supervised by a registered or senior psychologist. The likes of Childline might not have that, but they would still have supervision and protocols around boundaries and self-care. Experience in areas such as intellectual disability, challenging behaviours and on a research project couldn't hurt, either i.e. diverse experience, don't just do it all in one area repeatedly learning the same skill. However, I could be wrong and you just don't know the backgrounds of those they take onto courses. It's very competitive, no doubt. At TCD for example, we were told applications are scored on a points system (I think). If you've a Masters you get X amount of points, experience in such and such a field, Y points, etc, etc. Then, they whittle down to a list of those they want to interview, next there might be 1:1 and group interviews. I would guess at interview they want to see your key competencies and how that might fit in with being a good trainee. Bear in my things change, and the requirements might, too. You're a long way off from this.

Clinical generally requires a doctorate. Some counselling courses have gone in that direction. You could probably work in forensic or occupational with an accredited MSc, under a supervised peer.

Advertisement