Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leis an" with vowels and genitives

Options
  • 19-03-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Dia duit. I'm wondering if "leis an" and similar phrases give an urú to vowels, like "leis an n-urú". Furthermore, I'm wondering how the genitive affects this. If I were to say, "with the solar eclipse", which of the following, if either, is correct?
    • Leis an Urú na Gréine
    • Leis an n-Urú na Gréine

Go raibh míle maith agat. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You wouldn't use an t-alt twice for the Tuiseal Ginideach. It would be "le hUrú na Gréine".

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Right you are!:) Thank you. With regards to the first question, does "leis an" and similar not add an urú for vowels, like "ar an oileán", "leis an ainm" srl? I'm referring to the general form here without the Ginideach.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A97 wrote: »
    Right you are!:) Thank you. With regards to the first question, does "leis an" and similar not add an urú for vowels, like "ar an oileán", "leis an ainm" srl? I'm referring to the general form here without the Ginideach.

Fáilte romhat. :)

I think they only have an urú for consonants (b, c, f, g, p) in the Caighdeán Oifigiúil, and not for vowels.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

The n of the eclipses just merges with the n of an, so it isn't pronounced, in fact some native speakers actually say

leis a' núll

for example.

Advertisement