Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US phones

Options
  • 19-03-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hey guys, quick question: what to watch out for when buying an Android phone in USA to be used in Ireland?
    I know that it needs to be unlocked for GSM. Is there anything else?
    Is US Android firmware different from EU one? I'm looking at LG G3 for instance. Will I need to tweak it after bringing it from USA?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The frequency bands may differ, certainly for 4g, and it isn't a simple matter to change these, so be careful which version you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Yeah, I checked those, and I don't really plan to sign up for 4G plan for the moment anyway.
    What about the firmware though, is everything fine in that regard? Says Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

any firmware should be ok. where are you going? have you checked coverage where you are going? wife and i go to tmobile when we go there and its not a problem except when we go across to wisconsin. :confused: then its like the arsehole of the burren

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

nah, not going anywhere. Getting a gift from family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

grand so, just make sure it is not cdma. those phones tend to be cheaper and then they wont work over here at all and you probably couldnt get them unlocked either way even if it did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Try get the droid turbo!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement