Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Applied Psychology

Options
  • 19-03-2015 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I can't comment on the course itself but I would encourage you to contact the course directors. They should be able to give you the best advise in terms of the course. One piece of advice I would give you is that have your questions outlined when sending the email. They will be in a better position to help you if they know what you are trying to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

I know that UL offers work placement which is a bonus for gaining experience if thinking about applying for Clinical. For what it is worth I did the degree in UCC and loved it. I would have a look at the Applied Psychology page and email either the head of the school or the school manager for advice. As the previous post said, be specific!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoinc28

Phoenix wrote: »
    What was you expierences of it?

I'm just in the final stages of final year of the HDip in Psychology in UCC (did it as a postgrad, same course except we skip first year). It's a very good course, tough but good. You really get a good balance of psych theory and research/stats. The applied side of the course is what I believe makes it stand out as it doesn't just confine you to the theory, but shows you how psychology is used outside of the academic sphere.

Over the last two years (off the top of my head), we've covered:
    Cognitive, Developmental, Biological, Abnormal, Therapies, Research Methods and Occupational.

The department tend to be a bit all over the place, but not so much that it's going to cause you any major problems. They're pretty good regarding giving you extra time for assignments, etc if you have genuine reasons.

I'd recommend just hopping on to ucc.ie/apsych for more info, but my personal experience is that it's an excellent course. Quite tough as is to be expected of any psych course, but really good. Feel free to email any of the staff for more info as well, I'd recommend Mike Murphy or Martin Sczerbinski, they're really sound and helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

Phoenix wrote: »
    What was you expierences of it?

I loved the course. Modules are varied, and go into all the classic old experiments/thinkers as well as the most recent research. The research component of the course is pretty strong, which is good for when you finish and want to go on in the field.

The amount of work required comes in waves, there are times when everything is nice and relaxed, and then you are hit with three deadlines in the space of a week and it takes over your life. It's a reasonably difficult course, but at the same time if you are willing to put in a lot of reading and research you would be grand. I really like the atmosphere in the school, and most of the lecturers are very approachable. If you are having difficulty they always accommodate you if you give a knock on the door, even if it is just to say "relax, you are doing fine". It can be a little frustrating at times in the school with regards to organisation, as I said before a more balanced workload throughout the year would be ideal. In sum I would recommend the course, I really enjoyed it.

Advertisement