Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Image Alt Tags for SEO

Options
  • 19-03-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭

I've put my site through a lot of the SEO testing apps and webpages and they all seem to have problems with my lack of Alt Tags on my images. Now, while I obviously tag images like the logo and various photos, I don't tag the little bullet images I use in my lists (i.e. these little red square guys: bullet.jpg).
    The reason I don't tag them is because one of the main reasons for tagging (that I've read) is for screen readers to call out a description of the image and I think that having a screen reader call out "bullet" for every bullet would not make for a good user experience.

Am I right in leaving the Alt Tags blank (i.e. is it actually an issue for SEO in cases like this) or should I try and redesign my lists to avoid the issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You are spot on in your thinking. Don't omit them, just leave them empty with no space [ alt="" ] or much better is to use css to handle the list bullet graphics which is more elegant bypassing most of the issue. Same for other elements with no descriptive value eg flourishes. Nevertheless, the way screen readers across the board will handle these list issues isn't consistent but in reality that's pretty much beyond your control.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GBrownie

No, it's not a big issue, You can leave without fill it. Alt tag used just because spider can read the image and get you rank on image search. So if anybody who don't want rank on serps for the particular image then s/he can leave it blank, that can't be affect your on-site SEO.

Advertisement