Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Balance Entitlement

Options
  • 19-03-2015 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I stayed in a lovely hotel down in Cork just last week and had dinner, B&B down there. The B&B part was covered and paid for upon checking in.

My husband gave me a present of €100 voucher to spend as I like down in the hotel so myself and my sister had our evening meals/drinks that evening. When checking out I used the voucher to pay for the dinner/drinks and it came to about €83/84 euro so I used my voucher but they said I'm not entitled to a voucher back in lieu of the change?
    I know it's only €15 or so but that's not the point. I wasn't looking for cash but am I entitled to a voucher change? I can't see any terms/conditions on the website.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would expect a voucher back for the change but alot would depend on what the buyer of the voucher was told at the time. Drop an email to the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Another way of <SNIP> money out of the consumer to go with the voucher is only valid for 12 months.
    <SNIP>
    No connection with them, just personal experience.

Mod note: OP is not seeking help on an expiring voucher or accommodation in a completely different county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Hi,
    But they said I'm not entitled to a voucher back in lieu of the change?

There's a balance remaining on the voucher, it just doesn't disappear. As mentioned, get on to the manager straight away, that isn't acceptable. Most shops would have a policy if the remaining balance is below a certain amount, they'd give you cash rather than issuing a new voucher. I know this is a hotel, but the same principal should apply. They should just issue you a new voucher or give you the cash, not just have it disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Melendez wrote: »

Fair enough, never even thought of the discounted voucher T&C's :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Sorry I've just found the Terms and Conditions attached to the email the hotel send to my husband after he paid for the €100 voucher.

TERMS & CONDITIONS
    Valid for 1 year from date of purchase
    Valid in exchange for goods and services at X Hotel

At the time of checking out I said nothing because I just didn't know my rights and the lady was very matter of fact about it and because also I didn't know the terms and Conditions at the time I just left.

Yeah I think i'll email the Manager. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Could you not have used the balance voucher for lunch or coffees in the hotel if they told you they couldn't give you back the balance?

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Could you not have used the balance voucher for lunch or coffees in the hotel if they told you they couldn't give you back the balance?

I was checking out at the time and she didn't really give me any options.
    I asked could do I get the balance and she just said no rather abruptly so that's kinda why I said no more-just assumed she must be right and it's in the T&C's or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If it was a €100 note instead you'd still not be entitled to change, enough threads on the matter on boards if you're bothered. Never seen it on large amounts usually shops not having change and telling customers tough.

Most places would never do it with a large cash payment even if it's legal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Varik wrote: »
    If it was a €100 note instead you'd still not be entitled to change, enough threads on the matter on boards if you're bothered. Never seen it on large amounts usually shops not having change and telling customers tough.

Most places would never do it with a large cash payment even if it's legal.

Sorry, are you saying that if I paid an €85 bill with a €100 note I would not be entitled to change?
    I think not!

Ah, but in reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Here is a question for you OP, will this put you off going back to the hotel?..if so the hotel has "made" 15 off you but lost many multiples of that in future revenue.

Its a silly policy and indicative of irish customer service.

Here is a question for you OP, will this put you off going back to the hotel?..if so the hotel has "made" 15 off you but lost many multiples of that in future revenue.

Its a silly policy and indicative of Irish customer service.

Aside from the €15 what would put me off going back again would be how it was dealt with -there was no "sorry I'm afraid we don't give out change/vouchers in lieu of the remainder of the voucher" etc because the lady was just like-no you don't get anything and that's that, goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I would be sending an email to the manager all right. It is bad form.

Now, if this had happened to me I would have been telling the person to go to the bar and get me €15 worth of cheese and onion crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Hi,

I stayed in a lovely hotel down in Cork just last week and had dinner, B&B down there. The B&B part was covered and paid for upon checking in.

My husband gave me a present of €100 voucher to spend as I like down in the hotel so myself and my sister had our evening meals/drinks that evening. When checking out I used the voucher to pay for the dinner/drinks and it came to about €83/84 euro so I used my voucher but they said I'm not entitled to a voucher back in lieu of the change?
    I know it's only €15 or so but that's not the point. I wasn't looking for cash but am I entitled to a voucher change? I can't see any terms/conditions on the website.

Thanks.

What a good staff member would have done is taking the 100 and reimbursed you refund 15 euro that you had paid for the room.

If it were me, I would have it on my tripadvisor review at the time of checking out and invite the Manager to review it before I hit the submit button.
    These establishments hate getting negative reviews.

Thanks everyone-yeah I know I should have stood my ground there and then but I'm not very good in confrontations,especially if I don't know if I'm in the right or wrong!

I'll try and get an email sent today.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Its a silly policy and indicative of irish customer service.

That's a ridiculous sweeping statement - service in Ireland is usually way above the norm - I even experienced an exceptional level of service last night / this morning in Waterford that ivolved 4 different companies, that went way beyond what they should have done and it was very much appreciated.

You'll always get the odd company giving a servcie below what is expected, but I certainly find the nrom in Irealnd is better than the norm elsewhere.

In this instance the OP should email / call the hotel manager, explain what had happened and request a balancing voucher be sent out which can then be used for lunch or something similar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Sorry you would be wrong.

It is only through the goodwill of businesses that they give change. There is no legal obligation to give change in any transaction.
    The onus is on you to present the correct amount.

I think a shop has to give you change if you are buying something but if you are paying a debt the receiving party has no obligation to provide change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

delahuntv wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous sweeping statement - service in Ireland is usually way above the norm - I even experienced an exceptional level of service last night / this morning in Waterford that ivolved 4 different companies, that went way beyond what they should have done and it was very much appreciated.

You'll always get the odd company giving a servcie below what is expected, but I certainly find the nrom in Irealnd is better than the norm elsewhere.

In this instance the OP should email / call the hotel manager, explain what had happened and request a balancing voucher be sent out which can then be used for lunch or something similar

In my experience irish service is no way above the norm, i travel to the US often and the level of service you get out there is light years ahead of irish service.

You state that my "sweeping statement" is incorrect but use this sweeping statement"service in Ireland is usually way above the norm" to counter it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

In my experience irish service is no way above the norm, i travel to the US often and the level of service you get out there is light years ahead of irish service.

My experience has been the total opposite. I've visited a couple of different cities in the states and only one or maybe two of those has matched or surpassed (on average!) the service in Ireland, or most of europe.

Although it might depend on your view on good service as I prefer efficient and polite over insincere and overly friendly any day!

Also OP, I wouldn't regard it as uncommon to not give change on a gift voucher, on the few occasions I've used them I haven't been given any change and I don't offer change for my own gift vouchers for any amount under €25.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

If she said that to me i would be spitting blood.
    She tried to pull a fast one on you o.p
    Name and shame.

I can't agree, having spent many months of the year in the US for several years: their brand of service is to be inflexible while pasting an inane smile on their faces. They talk the talk about service but don't actually deliver. Overall service is superior here and much more honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Melendez wrote: »
    What makes you feel entitled to only offer €76 value for goods or services for which you have been prepaid €100? Because you legally can? Dishonest sharp practice in my opinion. What entitles you to keep the money when you have done nothing to earn it?

I haven't been prepaid €100 for it, I've been prepaid €60 for it because I only do gift vouchers for special occasions, on discount. I'm an artist so nothing I do is anywhere near €100, let alone under it. My loyalty system offers a larger discount to €25 for a second commision too.

It isn't about feeling entitled, it's about following the t&c's I've set out and that im clear about. It happens on a very rare occasion, as like I've said my work is well over the €100 mark but in the maybe 4 or 5 times it's happened in the 4 years I've offered them I've never recieved a complaint and all of those have returned for more work.

• Advertisement

Advertisement