Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What alarm system for a 3 bed semi?

Options
  • 19-03-2015 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Hi All. I'm after finishing renovating the house. It is a regular 3 bed semi with ground and first floor. I have the house pre-wired for the alarm system and want to do the installation myself. I planned on having 5 PIR sensors hooked up to it. I'm well able technically and a looking for help in choosing the right alarm system and where to buy it. I do not know as to what modern day alarms can do and how mobile phones and internet can be used to communicate with them. All that is yet ahead of me but learning new things is my bread and butter plus I really enjoy doing it. I would very much appreciate any comments and suggestions that could help to point me in a right direction. If there is a thread already on this please point me towards it.
    Thanks.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pump

walus wrote: »
    Hi All. I'm after finishing renovating the house. It is a regular 3 bed semi with ground and first floor. I have the house pre-wired for the alarm system and want to do the installation myself. I planned on having 5 PIR sensors hooked up to it. I'm well able technically and a looking for help in choosing the right alarm system and where to buy it. I do not know as to what modern day alarms can do and how mobile phones and internet can be used to communicate with them. All that is yet ahead of me but learning new things is my bread and butter plus I really enjoy doing it. I would very much appreciate any comments and suggestions that could help to point me in a right direction. If there is a thread already on this please point me towards it.
    Thanks.

i was going to ask almost the same question!

i was looking at the following can any one give me an idea if this is good price and decent quality? looks easy to set up i would think

http://www.cctvireland.ie/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=269

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For wired system I would recommend Siemens or Risco LightSYS.

Both of these systems have excellent free apps and free cloud service for remote access & alarm event alerts. They are also both accessible via any web browser should your phone not have a data connection etc.
    There is a very good thread here on different IP panels.

On your plans, I would concentrate on perimeter protection first using inertia shock sensors & contacts and back that configuration up with some PiRs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

pump wrote: »

i was looking at the following can any one give me an idea if this is good price and decent quality? looks easy to set up i would think

http://www.cctvireland.ie/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=269

If you shop around some the the suppliers listed here you may get better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

walus wrote: »
    Thanks.

Not a great way of protecting a premises just using motion detectors.
    I would recommend using a hybrid system which will allow the use of shock sensors to protect the perimeter of your premises. If you did use the seimens system then you would need to add a receiver and use third party wire free sensors. HKC and Risco have there own wire free sensors to use in these situations.

pump wrote: »

Have a look at the hik vision equipment, LTS also do a unbranded version available in REW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Hi all, I'm in a similar situation to the OP - 3 bed semi with ground and first floor except the house is not pre-wired for an alarm system. I'm thinking wireless is the easiest and most effective way to go and want to do the installation myself. Can anyone recommend a proven and reliable alarm system?

I'm looking at general door, window and motion or inertia shock sensors. I would also like automatic phone notification when the alarm sounds but I definitely don't want to pay any monthly or contractual fees.

Thanks!

Hi all, I'm in a similar situation to the OP - 3 bed semi with ground and first floor except the house is not pre-wired for an alarm system. I'm thinking wireless is the easiest and most effective way to go and want to do the installation myself. Can anyone recommend a proven and reliable alarm system?

I'm looking at general door, window and motion or inertia shock sensors. I would also like automatic phone notification when the alarm sounds but I definitely don't want to pay any monthly or contractual fees.

Thanks!

This thread explains all the different Apps available.
    Risco or GSD have free Apps once you have an internet connection in your premises.
    They also have inertia sensors for your windows and doors.

Thanks!
    For what you are looking for I would recommend GSD or Risco.

Both of these systems will give you free apps and free cloud service for remote access & alarm event alerts. The Risco systems are also accessible via any web browser should your phone not have a data connection etc.
    Here is a good thread covering lots of info on different IP panels.

Mod Edit:

This is covered in the sticky

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ok guys i unlocked the thread for apps as linked above,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Great information, Thanks guys!

Advertisement