Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on how to become a Secondary Teacher

Options
  • 19-03-2015 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am almost finished my ACCA accounting exams, but my first love was always teaching and always wanted to become one. I am interested in becoming a secondary school teacher and wondering if anyone can give me advise on what way to go about it. I did a BA Finance & Accounting course in college and will also have ACCA. Is a HDip the next step?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

the H Dip no longer exists.
    It is now a Post Grad Masters in Teaching and takes 2 years and €10k.

I would say Accounting and Junior Cert Business might not be a very good combination of subjects as Accounting isn't in a lot of schools in Senior Cycle.

On top of that, the job prospects, pay, conditions and pension for entrants after Feb 2011 are pretty grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

There's also a limit on the number of business teachers allowed qualify each year on the PGDE. Provided to are aware of the pay (reduced significantly) job prospects (rubbish, part time contracts for years) and have actually experienced working with teenagers in school (so you know it is for you) then it is doable. It's just not the career that it is often described as. As in it is not stable employment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Business may just be one of the toughest to work with - I did my PDE in 2012 and their highest number of entrants were in English and Business.

Financially, it really wouldn't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭granniecaz

Well as I am still not fully qualified, there wouldn't be much of a reduction in pay I'd imagine, even if any. I was hoping that having ACCA might stand to me, but from all your advice, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

granniecaz wrote: »
    Well as I am still not fully qualified, there wouldn't be much of a reduction in pay I'd imagine, even if any. I was hoping that having ACCA might stand to me, but from all your advice, this doesn't seem to be the case.

The reduction in pay is that the teaching salary scales were cut. However there is a much more serious concern in that I imagine it's a relatively rare situation for accountants to be hired to part time jobs? In teaching this is now the norm, you can expect years of no contract/short hour contracts. Take a look at the advertisements for teachers as a fraction of 22hrs. Most of them are for between 0-16hrs.

Edit: Actually the only job mentioning accounting or business at the moment is a 21hr maternity in accounting, maths and business studies. Maternity leaves have pretty much no long term prospects and you aren't qualfied for maths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

granniecaz wrote: »

Being fully qualified ACCA would allow you to teach, Accounting, Business Organisation and Economics to Leaving Cert level.

Advertisement