Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Food Cookbook

Options
  • 19-03-2015 10:22am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry Oryx, but the title worked:)

There was an old thread on healthy snacks. and I'm sure lots will say just cook up some meat and some veg and voila.

But i thought it would be useful to have a thread with a bunch of your favourtie go to recipes, ones that tip heavily or at least somewhat to the healthy side.

I'm sure some of the recipes could spark paleo versus carb, low fat versus high debates, but lets leave them out or take them to a different thread.

if you can post nutritional info as well, that's obviously a big help

This might fall flat on it's face, but worth a shot. I'll start with my favourite

Cajun Chicken Jambalaya
    Cook Time: 40 mins | Kcal 387 | Protein: 24g | Carbs: 56g | Fat: 8g | Yield: 5 Portions

1 Green Pepper
    1 Red Pepper
    1 Onion
    2 Garlic Cloves
    1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
    700ml Stock
    4 tsb Cajun Spice
    1 tsb Chilli Flakes
    300g Brown Rice (dry weight)
    500g Chicken Breast
    150g Sweet Corn
    1 tsb Coconut or Olive Oil

Method
    Chop the chicken breast and add the chicken to a pan with the garlic and coconut oil and gently fry.
    Just before it is ready add the chopped onion, peppers and 2 tsp of Cajun spice and cook for a few more minutes.
    Add the rice (uncooked), chopped tomatoes, stock, remaining Cajun spice, chilli flakes, sweet corn (drained) and salt and pepper to the pan.
    Simmer for 30-40mins until the majority of the liquid has been absorbed.
    Serve.

few extra bits i've added. on top of the chicken, i add in prawns and sliced chorizo. also up the spice content a bit.

other tip is the first couple of times i made this,even after the 40 minutes the rice was uncooked and the liquid cooked off. . so i used the 10 minute brown rice instead and it's been perfect every time since.

that's mine. what you got?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Great idea and I agree that a recipe or tasty meal is something to look forward to, and to enjoy cooking, rather than just eating a boring plate of 'what you know should be going in'.

I actually recently got my hands on the Racing Weight cookbook using up a a voucher on amazon and so far finding it very interesting and to be fair, most of the recipes are very handy. I'll be sure to post up a few of my fave recipes in this thread.

I think I have all the ingredients for the jambalaya so might give it a try tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Ryath

Looks like a nice one pot recipe mossym. Make this curry a lot
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73711514

Chicken Jalfrezi, 3-4 portions.

Ingredients: (in order of appearance)

3-4 tbsp. vegetable oil
    4-6 cardamom pods
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. ground turmeric
    1 tsp. curry powder
    1 tsp. ground coriander
    1 small onion, finely chopped.
    3-5 red chillies (depending on taste)
    3 garlic cloves
    400g chicken breast
    1 tin whole peeled tomatoes (400g)
    3-4 cm fresh ginger
    1-2 chicken stock cubes
    ½ lemon
    1 lime
    1 large bunch of fresh coriander
    Rice or Naan Bread to server with

Really tasty and fresh with the lemon/lime and corriander usually serve it with Basmatti but sometimes make cauliflower rice when I'm trying to eat low carb.

Edit Just to add usually add a pepper half way through cooking just to up the veg content. Made it as a vegetarian curry once with sweet potato and red lentils and it quite good.

Got a slow cooker last year and it is brilliant when your pushed for time prep everything the night before and stick it on in the morning and you have a delicious dinner ready when you get home in the evening. Stews and the like just seem to taste better from it as well. Really good for cooking meat joints or whole chickens.

Super Bowl Chilli
    Ingredients

150g Fresh Chorizo*
    500g Beef Cubes for Stew
    1/2 tbls Chili Powder
    1/2 tbls Ground Cumin
    1 tsp Dried Oregano
    1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
    salt & pepper
    1 lg Onion, chopped
    1 Green Pepper, chopped
    1 can chooped tomatoes
    1 can of kidney beans in chilli sauce (Epicure do these)

Preparation:

Brown the Chorizo in a frying pan over medium heat until crispy. Drain and add to slow cooker. On top of the Chorizo, add the beef . Sprinkle the spices on top of the beef. Top the meat with the chopped onion and then add the chopped pepper. (You can be chopping as you go.)
    Add the beans to the pot and top with the can of tomatoes. Do not stir.
    Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Stir at the halfway , or thereabouts point. Taste chili and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
    Ready to serve or can be made ahead of time up to 2 days, refrigerated covered. To reheat, place in large pot and over medium heat bring to gentle boil, stirring frequently, until heated through. Can also be frozen defrost prior to reheating.

I've left it with out stirring halfway just done it when I've got home then cooked the rice. Nice with a baked potato or if you're being unhealthy on top of some nachos and cheese :) Usually add an extra tin or two of beans cannellini/ chick peas as the kids will eat a lot of these.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I make jamabalaya, but it can be a handy way to use up leftovers from a roast chicken or boiled ham, if you're not using fresh chicken, and toss in a handful of frozen prawns as well. ;)

Im a lazy cook, and any recipe with more than 5 ingredients makes me sigh. So I doubt I will have much else to contribute here, but I will use it as an incentive to try harder!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Oryx wrote: »

Im a lazy cook, and any recipe with more than 5 ingredients makes me sigh. So I doubt I will have much else to contribute here, but I will use it as an incentive to try harder!

my avocado based *chocolate* mouse recipe is less than 5 ingredients, and is deee-liiiiicccous. healthy too. so no shame in those

i'll post it some other time, can't post everything at once...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Okay...here's what Dory is cooking up at her house tonight! :)
    Fish Stew

3 pounds flounder filet
    1 cup chopped onions
    1/2 pound bacon
    1 8 oz. can tomato paste
    1 bottle catsup (~24 oz.)
    1/2 oz. Tabasco sauce (1 Tablespoon)
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper

Fry bacon - remove bacon from pan and brown onions in drippings. Place 3 cups of water in separate large pot and bring to boil. Pour onions and drippings into water, add fish, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cook fish until completely done. Add catsup and tomato paste. Cook on simmer for two hours. Serve over rice.

Please note: At times when I haven't been able to find flounder, I have substituted with catfish or other similar fish just fine. And, frozen or fresh fish works equally well. Also, I actually use ketchup - not sure what, or if, the difference is between catsup/ketchup...but Heinz Ketchup is the brand I reach for.

I have no idea of nutritional content, but it's easy and yummy. I discovered this recipe while on a beach trip to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina decades ago and it has been a staple of mine ever since!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Wot's catsup?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Think it's time to bump this and throw up another recipe. Really enjoyed the Jambalaya mossym.

Moroccan Spiced Vegetable Tagine
    2 tbsp sunflower oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tsp grated root ginger
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
    400g/13 oz tinned chopped tomatoes
    250ml/8 fl oz vegetable stock
    400g/13 oz tinned chickpeas, rinsed
    200g/7 oz green beans, halved
    1 red pepper, diced
    750g/1 ½ lb butternut squash, diced (could replace with diced chicken)
    100g/3 ½ oz golden raisins or sultanas
    Salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, chilli flakes and tomatoes and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes.

Transfer to the slow cooker. Stir in the stock, chickpeas, green beans, red pepper, squash and raisins or sultanas. Cover with the lid and cook for 6-8 hours. Season.

Wife sent me this one so don't know who to give credit to. Cooked it a good few times now and it's very tasty. Recipe suggest replacing the squash with chicken which I haven't tried but what I have done is used chicken legs or got a whole chicken and portioned into the legs and breast on the bone. Browned them of in a pan then placed on top of the tagine to cook. The legs are delicious meat just melting of the bone. Nice served with some cous-cous or flat breads but I can eat it quite happily on it's own

Next recipe for Oryx will just have 5 ingredients! or maybe 7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Dory Dory wrote: »

ta
    I thought catsup is upper class english for minced cat meat as i could not believe one can use a bottle of ketchup for cooking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Here's an Irish alternative to Dorys Fish Stew, I'd use this if I was looking to drop weight

1kg carrots chopped
    4 Leeks chopped
    0.7 kg of parsnips chopped
    Good handful of pearl barley
    Fish stock
    0.5kg of smoked fish (I usually use Coley)
    0.5-1kg of other fish, usually half white fish, half salmon/trout, will depend on special offers

Bring the carrots, parsnips, pearl barley and stock to the boil and let simmer for 45 mins. Then add leeks and chopped fish, cook for 10mins more and you're good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Green&Red is alive and well :eek::pac::D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hah, just about. Few injuries, severed tendon in my shoulder, busted nose, broken front teeth, a few stitches and the odd broken bone!
    2015 will be a base building year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

posted this elsewhere so should put it here too...

What You'll Need:

1/3 cup flour
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon baking powder
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    3 cups dried fruit (use a mix—I used apricots, dates, and cherries)
    1 1/2 cups dry roasted nuts (again, mix it up! My choice was pecans and almonds)
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    What to Do:
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 8-by-8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, or coat with nonstick spray.
    Coarsely chop fruit and nuts until most pieces are relatively uniform in size. Set aside.
    Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in a large bowl until evenly combined. Add sugar, fruit, and nuts, and mix to coat all fruit and nuts with the flour mixture.
    In a separate bowl, beat egg with vanilla until frothy and thick, about 2 minutes.
    Stir egg into flour mixture until evenly mixed.
    Spread mixture into prepared pan, using a spatula to smooth out the top.
    Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown

optional extras: add peanut butter

or if desired, once cooked, and cooled, melt big bar of chocolate pour and spread over top. you'll end up with something like the middle/right here

2015-04-21.jpg

Advertisement