Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pillowman

Options
  • 19-03-2015 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭

Having seen this in The Everyman theatre Cork last night, I would recommend this play to anyone and everyone ( strictly adults of a strong disposition!)
    Quite simply an amazing performance by all of the actors.

Martin McDonagh(Six Shooter, In Bruges) wrote an incredibly dark,at times beyond disturbingly morbid play, yet -for me- breathtakingly brilliant.

In Cork until the end of the week then heading to Belfast until mid April- would definitely recommend.

Starring Gary Lydon, David McSavage, Peter Campion & Michael Ford Fitzgerald.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SalEB1990

Totally agree! Peter Campion was the star of the show by a long stretch for me.

Deeply unsettling play but gripping at the same time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Completely agree. Brilliant play. Very dark, but also very funny! Definitely for adults only though... and only if you don't mind something a little disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

You'd have to be a fan of the dark, macabre side- which McDonagh definitely seems to favour.
    I went with my adult daughter (20), definitely did not appeal to her.

Was told some had thought "Pillow" in the title suggested it was suitable for children, brought their children then had to leave when they realised.
    Jeez, years of therapy wouldn't help a child after seeing this!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Was told some had thought "Pillow" in the title suggested it was suitable for children, brought their children then had to leave when they realised.
    Jeez, years of therapy wouldn't help a child after seeing this!

:eek: That's terrible!!

I did notice some people (not children :P) who didn't return after the interval. It may have been too dark for some people :/ Meant I had a great view for the second act though as the big head in front of me didn't return :P

I really enjoyed it though I have to say. I loved the storytelling aspect. The actor had a great voice for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Saw this in Dublin a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The playing out of the stories will stay with me a long time. Brilliant production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

woodchuck wrote: »
    :eek: That's terrible!!

I did notice some people (not children :P) who didn't return after the interval. It may have been too dark for some people :/ Meant I had a great view for the second act though as the big head in front of me didn't return :P

I really enjoyed it though I have to say. I loved the storytelling aspect. The actor had a great voice for it!!

Saw this a few weeks ago in Dublin and noticed the same. The content was so dark and maybe too close to some people's hearts at times?

I thought it was excellent. Will resonate with me for a long time I'd imagine!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

woodchuck wrote: »
    Completely agree. Brilliant play. Very dark, but also very funny! Definitely for adults only though... and only if you don't mind something a little disturbing.

I also loved it, and really found the dark humour quite brilliant. I went with my wife and few friends, and while we all enjoyed it, some found it more disturbing than others. Fro me, fantastic acting, writing and sets. Thoroughly recommended if it makes a comeback and you are up something that doesn't pull its punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

It's a brilliant play.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Bump.

This is back in Dublin next month.

http://www.gaietytheatre.ie/index.php/whats-on-buy-tickets/calendar/the-pillowman/658

I don't think I can stop myself going again.

Advertisement