Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Luas and Dublin Bus/dart tickets

• 18-03-2015 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hello I was just wondering if there was a weekly monthly or annual ticket that I could get to cover both the luas and dublin bus or the luas and dart. Also I will be travelling from portlaoise to dublin heuston on the train so if there was a ticket that could do all 3 that would be great.

Everyday would be a set route and times.
    if using the luas and dublin bus

portlaoise to dublin via train
    heuston to abbey street via luas
    abbey street to ballsbridge via dublin bus number 7

or if using the luas and dart

heuston to connolly station via luas
    connolly station to ballsbridge via dart

either way I need to be in ballsbridge by 8.50

Any information on any of this would be a great help and is much appreciated.

Regards
    Alan Fletcher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

LEAP card

leap.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Irish Rail have a train (including DART) / tram / bus ticket. Luas and Dublin Bus only sell single- or dual-mode tickets.

Note that bus can often be faster than tram from Heuston, but will also depend on which departs first.

http://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Types/Rail-point-to-point-tickets
    Iarnród Éireann Point to Point Tickets

Fares effective from 1st November 2014

Point - Point tickets are available from any rail station to another rail station (outside of the Short Hop Zone in Dublin) on the rail network. See details below of the most popular Point - Point ticket types. If your origin and destination is not listed, please email taxsaver@irishrail.ie to obtain your fare.
    To/From Dublin Heuston
    Annual Rate Monthly Rate

Portlaoise
    €3,340.00 €334.00

Extra €385 Annually or €38.50 Monthly to include Luas & Bus 90/145 to Connolly Station

So €3,340+385=€3,725. With www.taxsaver.ie you can cut up to 52% off that price. You will need to add the bus bit. Phone them to get a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Mutant wrote: »
    Hello I was just wondering if there was a weekly monthly or annual ticket that I could get to cover both the luas and dublin bus or the luas and dart. Also I will be travelling from portlaoise to dublin heuston on the train so if there was a ticket that could do all 3 that would be great.

Everyday would be a set route and times.
    if using the luas and dublin bus

heuston to abbey street via luas
    abbey street to ballsbridge via dublin bus number 7

or if using the luas and dart

heuston to connolly station via luas
    connolly station to ballsbridge via dart

either way I need to be in ballsbridge by 8.50

Any information on any of this would be a great help and is much appreciated.

Regards
    Alan Fletcher

First off would you not get the 25a, 25b, or 145 bus from Heuston Station to Bachelors Walk and change to the 4, 7, 8 or 120 on O'Connell Bridge?

Or alternatively take the 145 to Morehampton Road and walk through Herbert Park to Donnybrook?

Also - it would be much easier to get
    Get a LEAP card. The fares would be as follows:

Option 1: Bus 1 to Bachelors Walk & Bus 2 to Ballsbridge - €2.55 each way (€5.10 per day)
    Bus 1 Heuston-Bachelors Walk- €1.50
    Bus 2 Nassau Street-Ballsbridge - €2.05 less €1 LEAP90 discount - €1.05

Getting a 30 day Dublin Bus rambler ticket would work out at €4.92 per day for that trip.

Option 2: Bus 1 to Donnybrook - €2.05 each way (€4.10 per day using LEAP pay-as-you-go)

LUAS to Abbey and Bus to Ballsbridge - €2.49 inbound/€2.44 outbound (€4.93 per day using LEAP pay-as-you-go)
    LUAS Heuston-Abbey - €1.44 (€1.39 in the evening)
    Bus O'Connell Bridge-Ballsbridge €2.05 less €1 LEAP90 discount - €1.05

LUAS to Abbey and DART from Tara Street to Lansdowne Road - €2.14 inbound/€2.09 outbound (€4.23 per day using LEAP pay-as-you-go)
    LUAS Heuston-Abbey - €1.44 (€1.39 in the evening)
    Train Tara Street-Lansdowne Road €1.70 less €1 LEAP90 discount - €0.70

The LEAP90 discount applies a discount of €1 to the fare for each trip that starts within 90 minutes of the previous one.

So your weekly costs would be:
    Bus/Bus - €24.60 (using 5 days out of a 30 day rambler)
    Bus - €20.50 (pay-as-you-go)
    LUAS/Bus - €24.65 (pay-as-you-go)
    LUAS/Train - €24.15 (pay-as-you-go)

Annualised (assuming 5 weeks holidays including public holidays) that's:

Bus/Bus - €1,156
    Bus - €964
    LUAS/Bus - €1,159
    LUAS/Train - €994

You can get monthly/annual tickets via the Taxsaver scheme which will save you tax at your marginal rate, PRSI and USC on the costs listed below - only if your employer participates via www.taxsaver.ie

Annual Bus - €1,320
    Annual Bus/LUAS - €1,550
    Annual Train/LUAS - €1,710

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Arc_Light

The only DART-LUAS-BUS combi tickets are available at Irish Rail ticket booking offices.

If you were within the short hop zone a LEAP card is ALWAYS cheaper by using the caps than these tickets though, by about 20% I think.

Advertisement