Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One night in Athens - hotel advice please

Options
  • 18-03-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭

I have to go to Athens for a night to renew a visa so was wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel that is in a good spot for shops and restaurants but also easy to get to from the airport. Reasonable price would be a bonus!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I stayed in Athens for one night and I stayed at Hotel Tony:

http://www.hoteltony.gr/

It wasn't expensive and it was nice, I remember it being modern and very clean - it's the only place I've been to in Athens though so I don't know how it compares with other places.
    It was within walking distance to shops and restaurants, I can't remember how far it was from the airport though.

Athens is not a very nice place to be...go to the acropolis but I wouldn't bother venturing much further!

I think that if you're ever visiting a new place, you can't go wrong with a Radisson - there is one in Athens, no idea what it's like but I would imagine it's a safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

I stayed in Athens for one night and I stayed at Hotel Tony:

http://www.hoteltony.gr/

It wasn't expensive and it was nice, I remember it being modern and very clean - it's the only place I've been to in Athens though so I don't know how it compares with other places.
    It was within walking distance to shops and restaurants, I can't remember how far it was from the airport though.

Athens is not a very nice place to be...go to the acropolis but I wouldn't bother venturing much further!

I think that if you're ever visiting a new place, you can't go wrong with a Radisson - there is one in Athens, no idea what it's like but I would imagine it's a safe bet.

Thanks for the quick reply Magicmushroom, I've been to Rhodes but never Athens. It's just the handiest city to fly to from Turkey to renew a visa (bloody company messed up my residency) so it's kind of business, not pleasure but would like to see the Acropolis and have some nice meals. Trying to cut out any time wasting getting to and from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭tphase

I'd go for somewhere close to Syntagma square, the X96 bus from the airport stops there. If you'll have lots of luggage or a wheelie bag, the closer the better (Athens is a nighmare for wheeled bags). You'll be close to the main shopping streets, Plaka and the Acropolis.
    Don't have too high expectations of hotels in Athens other than they be clean and hopefully not too noisy or pokey.
    For food, try the restaurant in the meat market. Also a small medzes place on Romvis, one of the small streets between Perikleous and Koloktroni. Both are usually crowded with Greeks....

Advertisement