Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone suggest a type of lock that can't be opened with a bump key?

Options
  • 18-03-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭

As per the title. House got broken into via the front door, and I think the above method was used, as no damage to the door or lock.

Afraid the thief will try it again, so looking to change the lock to something a bit less likely to succumb to the same technique.

Any ideas, or pointers to where/what I should look (at)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

the_syco wrote: »
    As per the title. House got broken into via the front door, and I think the above method was used, as no damage to the door or lock.

Afraid the thief will try it again, so looking to change the lock to something a bit less likely to succumb to the same technique.

Try an electronic lock

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭altor

The Euro barrels used in doors are the weak point for entry to a home.
    The use of an antisnap/anti bump lock will prevent this.
    Very easy to replace yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Get a mortise lock fitted>>>>>well worth the expense.

Contents [hide

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Garrison break secure locks, dyno locks sell them, can get them on line too and install yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

Stoner wrote: »
    Garrison break secure locks, .... and install yourself

Do these cylinders come in different sizes? And how would one measure one that's in a front door at present (rather than remove it first) so as to replace it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you need to measure the distance either side of the barrel. taking it out takes two minutes, look at a YouTube video. Google UK suppliers, they usually have a guide on measuring them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

There is a retention screw driven into the barrell from the side of the door, as Stoner mentioned, measure from the screw to the outside of the barrell and from the screw to the inside of the barrell.

When getting your replacement barrell ensure it has the UK Kite Mark Standard on it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

This is where I plan to get mine.

good range - both price and sizes.

Just youtube how to measure the cylinder.

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/Cylinders.html

K

Advertisement