Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing Laws in Northern Ireland - alcohol sale times

Options
  • 18-03-2015 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the restrictions are on the sale of alcohol in Northern Ireland - specifically what time can it be sold at. I intend to go to Newry on a trip to buy some alcohol that I cant source in Dublin and Id like to go early but dont want to arrive in Sainsburys at 9.05am only to find they cant serve me alcohol til 10am or later.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the restrictions are on the sale of alcohol in Northern Ireland - specifically what time can it be sold at. I intend to go to Newry on a trip to buy some alcohol that I cant source in Dublin and Id like to go early but dont want to arrive in Sainsburys at 9.05am only to find they cant serve me alcohol til 10am or later.

They can sell alcohol from 8am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

irish_goat wrote: »
    They can sell alcohol from 8am.

Thank you Irish_goat.

Do you know if this also applies to Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Thank you Irish_goat.

Do you know if this also applies to Sunday?

Sainsbury's is unlikely to be open till 1pm.
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/storelocator/storelocator_detail_view.jsp?storeId=538&bmForm=store_details

enda1 wrote: »

Yes, I saw that - just wondering if its ok for them to sell alcohol on Sundays or are there any restrictions (like we have here - I think holy hour is gone now but we still have no sales til 10am?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Yes, I saw that - just wondering if its ok for them to sell alcohol on Sundays or are there any restrictions (like we have here - I think holy hour is gone now but we still have no sales til 10am?).

Seems to be 10am

Not much use if the shop is closed though.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    Seems to be 10am

Not much use if the shop is closed though.

Sainsburys isnt the only off licence though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Good luck getting an offie open on a Sunday before 1pm - Sunday trading hours are a right pain in these parts.

Treadhead wrote: »
    Good luck getting an offie open on a Sunday before 1pm - Sunday trading hours are a right pain in these parts.

Oh really? Thats why Im asking these questions!

I may just go on a Saturday actually as Id like to get up and back early.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Offys would tend to open around 11am on a Sunday. Winemark, for example is definitely open at 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Do not go up there over Easter. We do moan about good Friday, its far more stricter up there over the Easter period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

moxin wrote: »
    Do not go up there over Easter. We do moan about good Friday, its far more stricter up there over the Easter period.

LIDL IS CHEAPER

Advertisement