Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockathon 2015

Options
  • 18-03-2015 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

I noticed that tickets for Rockathon 2015 are now on sale on Ticketmaster. It's scheduled for 5th September at the same venue as last year (Fairyhouse). But does anyone know what acts will be performing this year? I know Whole Lotta Voltage will be returning as it's up on their own website. However, the thumbnail on Ticketmaster is last year's promotional poster and I haven't heard anything on Nova or elsewhere regarding the rest of the line-up. Did I miss something or does anyone have any more information?
    Many Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Roxy.Randrome

I've gotten tickets for this years Rockathon, just based on last year being so enjoyable. So far from looking at the Rockathon twitter: Dizzy Lizzy, Guns2Roses and Whole Lotta Voltage have been announced. From the ticketmaster summary page, there's also a Jimi Hendrix tribute and Rolling Stones tribute to be announced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭GaryTLynch

I've gotten tickets for this years Rockathon, just based on last year being so enjoyable. So far from looking at the Rockathon twitter: Dizzy Lizzy, Guns2Roses and Whole Lotta Voltage have been announced. From the ticketmaster summary page, there's also a Jimi Hendrix tribute and Rolling Stones tribute to be announced

That sounds good, Roxy. I'm not a Twitter user myself so thanks for that info.

All of the acts are now confirmed:

Guns 2 Roses
    Dizzy Lizzy
    The Stones
    Are You Experienced
    Whole Lotta Voltage (headlining)

There is also going to be a second (acoustic) stage with the Seattle Grunge Movement performing the music of Nirvana and Pearl Jam and J. Black performing the music of Bob Dylan.

I reckon it ought to be a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭LowOdour

This looks quite good actually...tribute bands can be quite good craic as no need to take them too seriously. Very tempted by this. How easy is it to get accommodation around there?

LowOdour wrote: »
    This looks quite good actually...tribute bands can be quite good craic as no need to take them too seriously. Very tempted by this. How easy is it to get accommodation around there?

You'll enjoy it, if last year's event is anything to go by. Seen Whole Lotta Voltage a few times (I'm a big AC/DC fan). They're very good, a great send up to the Bon Scott era. They do perform the odd Brian Johnson track, but Simon Jordan (their singer) has the look and voice of Scott, so they generally stick with the music of that era.

Plenty of places to stay which aren't too far away. Off the top of my head, there's the Pillo Hotel in Ashbourne (five minutes by car), Crowne Plaza, Blanchardstown (10/15 minutes by car) and there's also the option of camping on the grounds of the venue if you're feeling particularly adventurous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Can you park your car there if you go camping.

Hey has anybody gone to Rockathon before? Im thinking about going to it as the acts are really good, just wondering because Ive never done camping at a festival, what is it like at rockathon? Can you park your car there? What time does the concert go on for?

Are there any shower facilities there the next morning?

Could someone please tell me what Rockathon is like? PLEASE

• Registered Users Posts: 15 aidan7990

Hey,

I was at Rockathon last year and it was fantastic. Crowd was small but i am sure it will be bigger this year. you have parking free in the race course area. camp site was good. Food vans they got in were amazing, had chilli wraps after whole lot of voltage last year. it is brilliant would recommend coming. U'll see me there going nuts when Whole lot voltage come on stage.

PS Pure Meatlof played last year brilliant meatloaf tribute, would recommend if you can go see him.

let me know if you wanna know anything else

aidan7990 wrote: »
    Hey,

I was at Rockathon last year and it was fantastic. Crowd was small but i am sure it will be bigger this year. you have parking free in the race course area. camp site was good. Food vans they got in were amazing, had chilli wraps after whole lot of voltage last year. it is brilliant would recommend coming. U'll see me there going nuts when Whole lot voltage come on stage.

PS Pure Meatlof played last year brilliant meatloaf tribute, would recommend if you can go see him.

let me know if you wanna know anything else

Thanks, ya its just I've never really being interested to go to music festival's like oxygen or Electric picnic, just prefer going to concerts but some of the tribute bands playing this summer sound really good, especially the guns n roses tribute band, that's how I came to finding about Rockathon cause I was trying to find a guns n roses tribute band playing somewhere.

I say I'm going to go now after your post, all I have to do now is try and find someone to go with.

Just one more thing is there any shower facilities there the next morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 aidan7990

Hi,

there wasnt any shower facilities last year but to be fair the camping wasnt added until maybe a week before so wasnt a huge crowd camping.

the more camping this year the more things they may provide.

I would say it is unique as my friend has been to loads of the main camping concerts and said this was completely different to any of them.

come along even if you cant get anybody to go with you i'll be there & you're more than welcome to stand in with us and have few drinks and see where rockathon takes us.

aidan7990 wrote: »
    Hi,

there wasnt any shower facilities last year but to be fair the camping wasnt added until maybe a week before so wasnt a huge crowd camping.

the more camping this year the more things they may provide.

I would say it is unique as my friend has been to loads of the main camping concerts and said this was completely different to any of them.

come along even if you cant get anybody to go with you i'll be there & you're more than welcome to stand in with us and have few drinks and see where rockathon takes us.

Thanks. that's really nice of you. :):)

Right folks....Rockathon is only a week away! Will no doubt be overshadowed by EP, but hoping for a good day out.

I wonder will there be anything on after the bands finish up at 11? I thought club hell was been held at the venue but looks like they are providing buses into the city for it

I also saw that. I was under the impression that Club Hell were running the indoors area where the bar is situated for the day, just in case you fancied listening to some tunes with a beer indoors for a while. Are Club Hell going to be present at the event or are they just hosting an after party at their usual venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rockathon

Hey folks!

Looking forward to seeing all you Rockers at Rockathon this Saturday!

We have a top class line up for you all this year

Guns 2 Roses, Dizzy Lizzy, The Stones, Whole Lotta Voltage, Are You Experienced, The Seattle Grunge Experience, J. Black, along with plenty of other fun stuff to keep you rockin!

******Win a Guitar signed by Angus Young AC/DC******

When you buy your ticket from Ticketmaster .ie , you are automatically entered into a draw to win a guitar signed by Rock God Angus Young from AC/DC \\m//

So get your friends on board and lets get rawwwwkin! See you Saturday!!

For more info, please visit us @ rockathon dot ie or find us on Facebook and Twitter

Rockathon wrote: »
    Hey folks!

Looking forward to seeing all you Rockers at Rockathon this Saturday!

We have a top class line up for you all this year

Guns 2 Roses, Dizzy Lizzy, The Stones, Whole Lotta Voltage, Are You Experienced, The Seattle Grunge Experience, J. Black, along with plenty of other fun stuff to keep you rockin!

******Win a Guitar signed by Angus Young AC/DC******

When you buy your ticket from Ticketmaster .ie , you are automatically entered into a draw to win a guitar signed by Rock God Angus Young from AC/DC \\m//

So get your friends on board and lets get rawwwwkin! See you Saturday!!

For more info, please visit us @ rockathon dot ie or find us on Facebook and Twitter

Hi Rockathon,

it has been posted here already but what is the story with club hell? Will the indoor room be closed once the live music stops or will there be something on afterwards to keep the punters entertained? People who are camping are unlikely to make their way to Dublin to O'Reillys

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kaiser84

Hi, Rockathon.

What alcoholic drinks are sold at the gig? Is it a full bar?

Regards.

Kaiser84 wrote: »
    Hi, Rockathon.

What alcoholic drinks are sold at the gig? Is it a full bar?

Regards.

Hello Kaiser,
    According to their Facebook page a full bar will be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rockathon

Hey Guys,

Yes !!! There will be an indoor club Hell area at Rockathon all day , Then there are buses into O Reilly's bar to keep the party going after the gig.

Hey Guys,

Yes !!! There will be an indoor club Hell area at Rockathon all day , Then there are buses into O Reilly's bar to keep the party going after the gig.

I think most people have read that, but because there will be no buses back out people in the campsite could do with some entertainment. I see on the FB page the chipper is open until 1pm, but having some tunes/and drink to go along with that would be nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kaiser84

Hey Guys,

So everything for the campers finishes up at 11pm?

Club Hell will be running from 1pm until 9pm at the indoor arena in Fairyhouse (they'll also be showing the Dubs/Mayo match). So to the best of my knowledge once the bands finish up at 11pm the campers are on their own. I can't imagine too many of them going into Tara Street afterwards as the bus is a one way ticket.

I enjoyed Rockathon, as I did last year. My favourite acts were Whole Lotta Voltage, Dizzy Lizzy and J. Black (GREAT Bob Dylan tribute!) Unfortunately, like last year, the numbers weren't there. I really like the festival and what it's trying to do, but I doubt there will be a Rockathon 3 :-(

GaryTLynch wrote: »
    I enjoyed Rockathon, as I did last year. My favourite acts were Whole Lotta Voltage, Dizzy Lizzy and J. Black (GREAT Bob Dylan tribute!) Unfortunately, like last year, the numbers weren't there. I really like the festival and what it's trying to do, but I doubt there will be a Rockathon 3 :-(

I have to say, I was very surprised at the numbers...expected lots more. Hard to see where their profits come from.

It was good, not great..Whole lotta voltage were fantastic though. the bar closing at 10pm was crazy, although saying tha, less alchol made our 3 1/2 hour journey this morning g a lot easier.

LowOdour wrote: »
    I have to say, I was very surprised at the numbers...expected lots more. Hard to see where their profits come from.

It was good, not great..Whole lotta voltage were fantastic though. the bar closing at 10pm was crazy, although saying tha, less alchol made our 3 1/2 hour journey this morning g a lot easier.

I was very surprised at the bar situation. I wasn't expecting them to stay open until the usual pub closing time of 12:30, but at least until the final band had finished their set at around 11:30.

The numbers didn't really surprise me if I'm honest. I was hoping against hope that it would pull a decent crowd this year because I would like to see it do well and continue. It may have pulled a slightly bigger crowd than last year, but I doubt it was enough to break even. It'll be interesting to see if they pull the plug on the whole thing or have another pop at it in the hope that it'll grow with each passing year. But I don't think we'll be seeing it again in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnJoeRambo

Seems there will be a Rockathon in 2016 :) There is a post put up by them about bands interested, and will be having battle of the bands in nationwide locations for original bands with winners and runners up getting a slot at 2016 and also recording time,
    so that will drum up more interest and more exposure nationwide
    Fair play to them, it is a great festival and much needed in this country.
    Hopefully with word of mouth and with more nationwide advertising and a section for original bands also the crowds will increase which
    I imagine they will

Advertisement