Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish True Crime Writers.

Options
  • 18-03-2015 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think Irish criminals are gloried by the likes of Paul Williams, I'm interested in organised crime but after reading 'Murder INC 'I feel he plays off these cnuts to make his own dime. In my view The M'Carthy/Dundon Gang were the worst thing ever to happen to Limerick, along with the Keane Collopys they've given the city a terrible name. But Williams makes his coin off them, just like he did in past years with the likes of Marlo Hyland Eamon Dunne and the modern RIRA guys in Dublin.

I know somebody has to report on it but Williams and a couple of others seem to thrive on this, inventing gangster nicknames etc. They create a whole soap opera to sell papers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do you think Irish criminals are gloried by the likes of Paul Williams, I'm interested in organised crime but after reading 'Murder INC 'I feel he plays off these cnuts to make his own dime. In my view The M'Carthy/Dundon Gang were the worst thing ever to happen to Limerick, along with the Keane Collopys they've given the city a terrible name. But Williams makes his coin off them, just like he did in past years with the likes of Marlo Hyland Eamon Dunne and the modern RIRA guys in Dublin.

I know somebody has to report on it but Williams and a couple of others seem to thrive on this, inventing gangster nicknames etc. They create a whole soap opera to sell papers.

Pretty much answered your own question there.

Media sensationalism based on shyte standards in journalism make for great tabloid fodder and a few book deals. It's simply scaremongering and playing on people's fears that there's all this "gangland crime" going on all around you, be afraid, be very afraid.

Utter nonsense tbh. Far worse if you're actually reading that sensationalist tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was he the gob****e that was writing for the Sunday World as if they were Batman villains?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

If you read the line "sources close to x say that..." You know the next bit is going to be made up to sell more copies and also to wind up the criminal who will hopefully go on a shooting spree and the paper will sell even more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

'Crime journalism' in general is just fuel for the rabble roused and curtain twitchers in this world.

The only things that should get significant attention when it comes to crime is reports of said crimes, and court correspondence. There's no need for the manufactured lore that comes with it all in Ireland.

In my opinion, our 'crime correspondents' are absolute scumbags themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

No different to the likes Martin Scorsese using the story of Henry Hill in Goodfellas to make his dime, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Pedro K wrote: »
    No different to the likes Martin Scorsese using the story of Henry Hill in Goodfellas to make his dime, to be fair.

It is different, because journalism has a code of conduct, and has a duty to tell the truth.

A movie, like Goodfellas, Inglorious Basterds, - Entertainment.

It is different, because journalism has a code of conduct, and has a duty to tell the truth.

A movie, like Goodfellas, Inglorious Basterds, - Entertainment.

But are Paul Williams' books journalism? He still makes a lot of money off Murder Inc, the general, badfellas, the untouchables etc. They all tell the truth. And that seems to be what the OP is getting at. The fact that he is making money off writing about what criminals do...

Which is what a lot of movie directors, like Scorsese, do... No?

Edit: could Williams' books be regarded as entertainment... Keeping in mind it was one of his books that inspired the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Pedro K wrote: »
    But are Paul Williams' books journalism? He still makes a lot of money off Murder Inc, the general, badfellas, the untouchables etc. They all tell the truth. And that seems to be what the OP is getting at. The fact that he is making money off writing about what criminals do...

Which is what a lot of movie directors, like Scorsese, do... No?

Edit: could Williams' books be regarded as entertainment... Keeping in mind it was one of his books that inspired the OP.

He uses his "credentials" as a journalist to sell his books. I think Williams dilutes the truth with fiction, while Scorsese peppers his fiction with truth.

In my opinion, Williams is being far more dishonest than any fiction writer, since he is pretending to tell the truth. Does he have a "all characters are fictional.." blurb in his front pages? If not, then he is obliged to be truthful.

He uses his "credentials" as a journalist to sell his books. I think Williams dilutes the truth with fiction, while Scorsese peppers his fiction with truth.

In my opinion, Williams is being far more dishonest than any fiction writer, since he is pretending to tell the truth. Does he have a "all characters are fictional.." blurb in his front pages? If not, then he is obliged to be truthful.
    He doesn't have such a blurb or disclaimer no. But I don't think he'd be obliged to, because the books are about actual people. The characters aren't fictional.

The Untouchables is about the setting up of CAB, The General is about Martin Cahill etc...

You're bang on with your first sentence though. Williams definitely uses his name as a crime jouralisy to sell his books. Big time

They're piss poorly written too, BTW. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

CRIME REPORTER Paul Williams, who has made a living writing books on Ireland’s most notorious criminals, is now the main suspect for organising the attempt on John Gilligan’s life, garda sources have revealed today.

Gardai believe the attempted murder was orchestrated by Williams in a bid to stir trouble between rival drug gangs in order to create material for his next book.
    “Information was passed onto the detectives in Store street Garda station late last night about the identity of the failed Gilligan hitman.” said Det. Insp. Tadgh Morris. “Mr. Williams was arrested at his home this morning at 9am for the suspected murder of John Gilligan last month. A file is being prepared for the DPP. The suspect will be remanded in custody pending trial tomorrow morning.”

Sources also say that the gun used in the botched hit was found to contain traces of Mr. Williams’ DNA and a ballistics report also found that the gun was used in numerous criminal murders across the city over the past decade.
    “We are not at a position to say, but the evidence would suggest that Mr. Williams has been orchestrating gang-land style hits for quite some time now.” said Morris. “This would explain his in-depth knowledge of the criminal underworld and its workings.”

Paul Williams has made an estimated €5mn in the sale of his crime books over the past 18 years, in what is said to be the most turbulent time in Irish criminal history.
    “Maybe it was him that started this whole thing off in the first place.” one shocked colleague told WWN today. “It would make sense now when you think about it; profiting from the proceeds of crime that he in turn created may be just the biggest story to hit this country in recent years.”

WWN will have a two hundred page pullout next Sunday into the inner workings of Ireland’s latest king of crime, Paul ‘The Puppeteer’ Williams.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2013/12/15/crime-journalist-paul-williams-arrested-as-prime-suspect-in-botched-gilligan-hit/N

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Seriously paul Williams has lost most of what ever credibility he had a long time ago,instead of reporting and giving facts and inside knowledge about crimes and criminals he became just a mouthpiece for the Garda, don't think anyone takes him to serious anymore.

Writing true crime can be very profitable but in Ireland can also be very dangerous with the murder of two reporters in this country within the last twenty years, veronica guerin
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_Guerin
    And Martin o hagan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_O%27Hagan

Advertisement