Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepaid USD cards

Options
  • 17-03-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭

In the US some things require a US card and an international card won't work. Has anyone any experience of any prepaid card readily available in Ireland that works in this situation. I can bring my regular credit and debit cards, but this would be good backup for services which require a "US" card.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

What things? I go over every other month and I've never had an issue with anything ever. I do take cash just in case of some unfathomable emergency but I've never had to use it under emergency circumstances.

I've seen prepaid Visa cards in stores over there that you can top up, but you have to have an SSN and address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Things that I've seen mentioned as needing US cards are petrol pumps and some online sites, notably activating a prepaid phone which is something I want to do. I haven't tried these things, yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I have a prepaid phone for when I'm out there, and the girl at Best Buy activated it for me (I explained my circumstances and she sorted me out with my cell number) and I just use my Visa Debit to top it up online at www.t-mobile.com. Alternatively you can buy top up cards for AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon in Walgreens, CVS, Duane Reade etc and call the number listed on the back.

Petrol pumps I can't help you with I'm afraid, but tons of foreigners drive in the US every year, so I can't imagine it being a massive issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We've used Irish credit cards at US petrol pumps without problems for years?

Advertisement