Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Under 25s Classic Car Insurance

Options
  • 17-03-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all, I have been reading through some of the previous threads but Im having no luck. Is it possible for somebody under 25 to get classic car insurance? Im 18 with a full driving licence looking to get insured on a 1989 VW Polo Mk2 Breadvan 1.0l. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭w124man

HalfMoon51 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have been reading through some of the previous threads but Im having no luck. Is it possible for somebody under 25 to get classic car insurance? Im 18 with a full driving licence looking to get insured on a 1989 VW Polo Mk2 Breadvan 1.0l. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Classic insurance usually means that you have another vehicle insured as a daily driver and that your 'classic' is a hobby. Go to AXA first and then try a few more for quotes. I doubt very much if you will get a stand alone classic policy at your age.

I have my VW Polo breadvan insured for €190 on AXA's classic policy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HalfMoon51

w124man wrote: »
    Classic insurance usually means that you have another vehicle insured as a daily driver and that your 'classic' is a hobby. Go to AXA first and then try a few more for quotes. I doubt very much if you will get a stand alone classic policy at your age.

I have my VW Polo breadvan insured for €190 on AXA's classic policy

Thanks for the reply. im insured on my mams car at the minute which is my daily driver and i will only be driving the polo occasionally. if you dont mind me asking, what age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭w124man

Old enough to know better! :rolleyes:

And a LOT older than you!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

To get classic car insurance you normally have to have another car insured in your own name as your everyday transport. This is to kerb people from using the classic car as every day transport (as the insurer's risk is higher if you do, so why should they offer you a discounted premium)

If you are just a named driver on your Mam's policy that might not count, as its not your own insurance policy and you may not be able to show a no claims bonous in your name.

Another issue is your age. Normally classic policys are only available to those aged 25 or more, 23 with Carol Nash I remember.

Another option to get your Polo on the road then is to just get normal car insurance on it, which in itself can be difficult on a car of that age

Hope thats a clear and concise answer to your question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

I think 23 is the youngest with Carole Nash for classic insurance. I think you must have full licence 5 or 6 years and no claims iirc.

I have heard of people under 25 being a named driving on a classic policy.
    Might be worth a try that way but I'd say if you manage to get a quote for example as a named driver on parents' classic policy the premium would be higher.

(I got a quote in my own name at age 24 for €650 on a classic ford, classic policy, limited mileage etc. from Carole Nash) Have no experience with trying as a named driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

Hi lads, I never realised it was possible to get a classic policy at 23, been eagerly awaiting turning 25 to take the plunge.

I'm 23, 6 years licence + named driver experience. I've recently been looking at a few W123's and have been getting quotes just below €1000, which I thought was reasonable enough for a main policy considering the circumstances.

Now I'm feeling I'm better off going down the 1 litre daily driver route, can get insured in a polo for under €300. Would I be better off going this route and spending €1000-1200 on a daily driver (300 insurance, 200 tax, 500-700 on the car) and keeping the classic as a weekend car?

Also, if you're insuring a car as a classic, does your main car have to be with the same broker or could I insure the main car with Aviva and the classic with Carole Nash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

LariToper wrote: »
    Hi lads, I never realised it was possible to get a classic policy at 23, been eagerly awaiting turning 25 to take the plunge.

I'm 23, 6 years licence + named driver experience. I've recently been looking at a few W123's and have been getting quotes just below €1000, which I thought was reasonable enough for a main policy considering the circumstances.

Now I'm feeling I'm better off going down the 1 litre daily driver route, can get insured in a polo for under €300. Would I be better off going this route and spending €1000-1200 on a daily driver (300 insurance, 200 tax, 500-700 on the car) and keeping the classic as a weekend car?

Also, if you're insuring a car as a classic, does your main car have to be with the same broker or could I insure the main car with Aviva and the classic with Carole Nash?

I don't think who your main policy is with matters, afaik, Carole Nash only offer classic and motorbike policies in Ireland. Could be wrong.

pm on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brady.jza80

recently bought a 22 year old non runner as a project and I'm only 24 and won't be 25 till December so thought I'd just work on the car and patiently wait till then but the car's nearly finished now and have such temptation to try and put it on the road this summer....thing is it's a toyota supra aerotop and the engine I put in was the 2.5tt to reduce the tax and I'm just wondering now that even when I do turn 25 will they turn around to me and say I'm too young for that power and basically 25 year old can only insure small engined classics

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Welcome to boards, brady.jza80 :)

Did you ring any insurance companies to find out? Usually once the car can go on a classic policy, the power doesn't make (much) difference. I had a Porsche 928 (5l V8, over 300bhp) on a classic policy for €325. Your age (under 25) might be an issue though. Ring them and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

recently bought a 22 year old non runner as a project and I'm only 24 and won't be 25 till December so thought I'd just work on the car and patiently wait till then but the car's nearly finished now and have such temptation to try and put it on the road this summer....thing is it's a toyota supra aerotop and the engine I put in was the 2.5tt to reduce the tax and I'm just wondering now that even when I do turn 25 will they turn around to me and say I'm too young for that power and basically 25 year old can only insure small engined classics

I feel your pain, I'm 21 and have a Sierra Cosworth.

Another 4 years before I can drive it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Muggle24

Hi Guys,

Anyone have any luck securing insurance ? I am a named driver on another policy as I walk to work most days. I have a full license 2 years and I just bought a 21 year old 316 which is immaculate and I want it to stay that way so i will only be driving it the odd time. The only classic insurance company who will insure me as I am 23 (24 in May) is Carole nash but the say the e36 was mass produced and wont cover it and I can't get a standard policy as the car is over 20 years old. ANy help much appreciated snookered here !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Think of it this way. The premium for the classic policy is somewhere around the cost of a normal policy minus full no claims bonus.

That's one reason they have a age 25 limit.... it's not a route to cheap insurance...you have to have a main policy first to get the cheap classic cover.

You will just have to find someone to offer you a normal policy and build up your no claims.

They weren't born yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

hi

have you tried first ireland they do stand alone policies,

maybe not for one so young

try anyway
    best of luck

Advertisement