Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Silly Patrick's Day Question

Options
  • 17-03-2015 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

I live in an isolated area. I have a foreign friend in town asking why they do not sell beer today in shops. I said I think it's an old rule not to sell until 4pm in some areas of the city centre. Am I right?

(I'd never go near town today so not really looking to find out for myself).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Catholic Bishops are permitted to purchase alcohol from 9am to 3pm, and then it opens to the public thereafter. The idea being the Catholics hierarchy should have access to special deals before the general public. It was introduced to Ireland when Saint Patrick got pissed on this day 1600 years ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a recent law brought in to stop alcohol abuse while there are copious amounts of children out watching the parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wilberto wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a recent law brought in to stop alcohol abuse while there are copious amounts of children out watching the parade.

I'm pretty sure it is recent. Was it not introduced after there was a load of trouble in Dublin a few years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I'm pretty sure it is recent. Was it not introduced after there was a load of trouble in Dublin a few years back?

It was indeed. And things have improved since then.
    Or, at least the messing starts a few hours later when, hopefully, most of the under 10s have gone home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Thanks guys, that would make sense. I presume then I can tell him to just wait until later? I'm sure he can already see the trouble the 'yoof' are causing already (I think he wants to go home and have a house party to be honest to avoid the streets).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

That's the most Irish thing ever, ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Indestructable

12.30 PM Sundays and Today!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Catholic Bishops are permitted to purchase alcohol from 9am to 3pm, and then it opens to the public thereafter. The idea being the Catholics hierarchy should have access to special deals before the general public. It was introduced to Ireland when Saint Patrick got pissed on this day 1600 years ago.

I MADE The BBC!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

First I've heard of it - wasn't near shops today and surprised to hear this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Has been for years, I worked in a Dunnes in town years back and they weren't allowed open the off-license until 3, it was chaos as soon as it did. Would have been 2008 onwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement