Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test Engineer Intern Advice

Options
  • 17-03-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all,

I will be staring as an intern in Analog Devices Limerick on the 7th of April as a test engineer as part of Co-op included in my course.

Is there anyone who can give me a heads up as to what I should be expecting or if there is anything I can do to get a step up when I start?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I take it you don't know what department you'll be based?
    I did this a couple of years ago, I was based in evaluation (probably what you'll be doing) it was good fun. I wasn't too keen on the work, it was interesting depending on whats going on but the team were in between projects when I was there so ended up doing much less than I would have liked.

I assume you'll be in Raheen? There are a lot of buildings there and each are different but I found it very social and the people I worked with were sound, you'll more than likely get to know a few people from different teams to so I doubt you'll have a problem settling in.

Your first day or two will be basic introductory stuff like manual handling and the likes so nothing to stress about on your first day. Other than that the stuff you need to know will be specific to your team most likely but they know you're there to learn so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Overall it's a very relaxed work place

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭BeardedBadger

KeithTS wrote: »
    I take it you don't know what department you'll be based?
    I did this a couple of years ago, I was based in evaluation (probably what you'll be doing) it was good fun. I wasn't too keen on the work, it was interesting depending on whats going on but the team were in between projects when I was there so ended up doing much less than I would have liked.

I assume you'll be in Raheen? There are a lot of buildings there and each are different but I found it very social and the people I worked with were sound, you'll more than likely get to know a few people from different teams to so I doubt you'll have a problem settling in.

Your first day or two will be basic introductory stuff like manual handling and the likes so nothing to stress about on your first day. Other than that the stuff you need to know will be specific to your team most likely but they know you're there to learn so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Overall it's a very relaxed work place

Ya I'm in raheen. I'll be based in the test department, everyone else I've talked to has either been in the evaluation or design parts of the company.

I hope you're enjoying whatever engineering you're doing now more than you enjoyed placement.
    Thanks for the reply, wasn't expecting anything so quick on Paddy's day

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Ah don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, it was a great experience overall.

If you're doing the proper test stuff you may have to wear a lab coat and all that kinda stuff.

They do the yield testing of parts so they make a board up for a part, write VB code (was VB anyway) and then the arts are automatically tested for faults etc.

When I started you were allocated a dept when on your first day so that might change anyway.

No hassle about the quick reply, I work in the UK now so don't get to celebrate Paddy!

I know the feeling. Stuck in the library for exams on Thursday and Friday. Thanks for all the help mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

You will be located in building 1, that's where the test labs are anyway.
    I'm not a test engineer but I'd imagine you'd want to be up to speed on your software languages for that kind of work.
    You won't be under any pressure though don't worry, the worst that will happen is you'll learn something new and will gain plenty of experience. :)
    I would have loved to have had the option of being a co-op when I was studying engineering.
    Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    You will be located in building 1, that's where the test labs are anyway.
    I'm not a test engineer but I'd imagine you'd want to be up to speed on your software languages for that kind of work.
    You won't be under any pressure though don't worry, the worst that will happen is you'll learn something new and will gain plenty of experience. :)
    I would have loved to have had the option of being a co-op when I was studying engineering.
    Best of luck with it!

I'll have to do a bit of work before I arrive down then. Did no programming in college this year so it's been almost a year besides trying to make a simple Web app for a project this year.
    I'm looking forward to it now, can't wait to feel rich compared to college life

Advertisement