Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Games coming to smartphones

Options
  • 17-03-2015 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭

Just announced, great news!
    Nintendo and DeNA, two Japanese gaming giants in very different ways, have announced a partnership at a press conference just moments ago in Tokyo that will see them collaborating on smartphone games using Nintendo's iconic IPs. Gaming consultant Dr. Serkan Toto is at the press conference and live-tweeting some details regarding this major announcement.

The companies will create a multi-platform gaming network that will begin rolling out in fall of this year with plans to expand it globally. As part of the partnership Nintendo will purchase 10% of DeNA for $181 million, and DeNA will in turn get 1.24% of Nintendo. This is a bananas-level announcement, as Nintendo has been staunchly opposed to bringing any form of gaming to smartphones for fear of diminishing their value and possibly negatively impacting their own hardware sales. Welp, now Nintendo and one of the world's biggest mobile developer/publishers are very intimate with each other.

source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

“Thank You Mario, But Our Princess is in Another Castle"

Buy 300 coins to progress to the next castle or wait 4 days 23 hours 59 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Apparently they'll be unique titles and not ports of console titles, which is great.
    And judging by Nintendo and their attitude to paid dlc I'd say you'll pay once and play.
    Of it is the more that is pay to play and you wind up with paywalls I'll be plenty p1ssed tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Apparently they'll be unique titles and not ports of console titles, which is great.
    And judging by Nintendo and their attitude to paid dlc I'd say you'll pay once and play.
    Of it is the more that is pay to play and you wind up with paywalls I'll be plenty p1ssed tbh

you'd have to imagine that there is a pretty huge untapped market for them, specially among people like myself who wouldn't buy a handheld console but would have a pretty good phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm a bit worried about this Nintendo are bowing to pressure from shareholders rather than going on actual market research with this one, something they have never done.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

They've had this pressure for years now, why would now be any different? Especially when the 3ds is still going so strong?
    I think they've possibly found a partner that they trust to get the content they want out there, and have tired them into their business so that they have more control over it.
    I can see this going down the road of companion games / apps, which, if done right, could be a reasonably good thing. Especially given the news that they're not bowing to the pressure to shoehorn some of their past games into a mobile experience. (Though some would work, (The Mario & Luigi or Paper Mario games could work for example) most wouldn't.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd be quite intrigued by the prospect of 'smaller' Nintendo games, which TBH they haven't really explored even with the advent of the eShop. Mobile does allow for smaller games that would traditionally struggle to justify a console, even a PC commercial release. The likes of Simogo titles, the Room, Monument Valley etc etc. Those sort of clever experiments but with the skill and care of Nintendo could be very special.

Or they could be cynical free to play titles with Mario and Pokemon skins. Pokemon Shuffle and the choice of partner here don't exactly rule out that possibility :/ One would certainly hope Nintendo would bring something new to the table though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say we will have older IP like Meteos, Marios Picross and Rhythm Paradise, titles that would lend themselves to the touchscreen interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

mobiles still need a proper control system for games as these games need a physical controller

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mariokart was suppose to be coming to mobile devices next March 2019 the last I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

I like Fire Emblem Heroes sometimes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement