Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aspergers diagnosis

Options
  • 17-03-2015 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

First of all hi every one ;)

Can anyone please give me some advice on getting an aspergers diagnosis for an adult?
    I'm 29 and over the past few years i have been gradually suspecting that I might have aspergers syndrome. I know I certainly tick all of the boxes that's for sure, and it would explain a lot about my ever so slightly miserable childhood. I just feel like a diagnosis would make me feel better and at the very least answer some questions.

I know I should go to my GP and get a referral to a psychologist/psychotherapist but I keep reading that its hard to do and that i'll have to try and convince my GP that I need it. To be honest I don't think i'd have the confidence to go to the doc about it anyway.

Is there anyone more appropriate I could try and build up the courage to see who would understand and give me a direct diagnosis?

The other thing is that I'm a student with little or no money so I need this all to be done on the medical card.

PS.Sorry if this has been asked a million times before!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Later on in life diagnosis of adults is not uncommon. Talk to your GP. He/she may refer you to a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. GPs don't always have great knowledge of ASD. As you're a student, might there be some supports on campus you can access to explore this further? A private assessment may be rather expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Talk to your GP. He/she may refer you to a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. GPs don't always have great knowledge of ASD. As you're a student, might there be some supports on campus you can access to explore this further? A private assessment may be rather expensive.

A Private assessment cost about €500 on any day unless you get someone to go pro bono. As for getting it done on the medial card ...... GP's have a clue about the adult diagnosis, I know this from personal experience. Once you have a proper diagnosis then doors and services will be opened to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Aspire Ireland - the Aspergers Society of Ireland - may be able to give you some pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aspergers Support Group

There's a new Aspergers Support Group and Youth Club at Castleknock Community Centre. All people with AS and their families welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

There's a new Aspergers Support Group and Youth Club at Castleknock Community Centre. All people with AS and their families welcome!
    Do you know of any similar groups in midlands?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Advertisement