Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Drivers Switch Off Your Light!

Options
  • 17-03-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭

If you have a fare turn off your god damn light. Instead of having us stand there with our hands out looking like idiots as you shrug your shoulders and drive by.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My heartfelt sympathies go out to you in your hour of need. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

My heartfelt sympathies go out to you in your hour of need. :(

It's cool got one now.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Taxxxxxi man, why don't you put out your light,
    Drive the streets for money,
    Bore the ear off me with waffly sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    It's cool got one now.
    Thank Christ for that, I was having palpitations envisaging the sleepless night I was going to endure.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Thank Christ for that, I was having palpitations envisaging the sleepless night I was going to endure.:)

Are you not on duty you could pick the op up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Jesus, certainly not something I miss from my Dublin days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

antodeco wrote: »
    Taxxxxxi man, why don't you put out your light,
    Drive the streets for money,
    Bore the ear off me with waffly sh!te

Roxanne, pud on the red light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

You would stand a long time with your hand out to hail a taxi or a bus for that matter in my neck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Listen op buddy, de ya think I have nothin better to b doing Dan switching on and of dem lights,da takes time n effort n it migh help me get som dough,but pal I not out der for u,I out der for me,so if u don't like it lump it pal, bloody foreigners takin me job...

In my youth I used to have a beef with the drivers who had their light OFF. I used to love walking home - not just because I was a cheap skate - but I actually used to love walking home from Dublin up through fair view and along the strand to home.

But my guilty pleasure back then was - knowing I did not want a taxi - I used to stick my hand up in the air whenever a taxi with no light passed by. And when they pulled over I used to stick my head in the door and say "are you free?" and when they said "yes" I answered "Well then turn on your light would you?" and walk off. Usually leaving the passenger side door open which they would then have to get out of their seat and walk around the car to close.

I am sure I had an agenda back then "higher" than being an ass hole. But I remember I used to walk away from such cars feeling somehow vindicated. I am not sure I look back on myself in that way now :) Id probably kick my own ass if I met me.

• Advertisement

It seems to be a trivial annoying thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just download hailo. Best app ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

In my youth I used to have a beef with the drivers who had their light OFF. I used to love walking home - not just because I was a cheap skate - but I actually used to love walking home from Dublin up through fair view and along the strand to home.

But my guilty pleasure back then was - knowing I did not want a taxi - I used to stick my hand up in the air whenever a taxi with no light passed by. And when they pulled over I used to stick my head in the door and say "are you free?" and when they said "yes" I answered "Well then turn on your light would you?" and walk off. Usually leaving the passenger side door open which they would then have to get out of their seat and walk around the car to close.

I am sure I had an agenda back then "higher" than being an ass hole. But I remember I used to walk away from such cars feeling somehow vindicated. I am not sure I look back on myself in that way now :) Id probably kick my own ass if I met me.

Badass
    :cool:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Taxi men, I don't give a **** about whether your light's on or off, but would you please stop using the entrance to my estate as a urinal! TVM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I drove a taxi for a few years, worse job I ever had ~ I hated it.. Anyway my roof sign, and most others are wired to the meter and switch off automatically once the meter is engaged.

No problem you'd think, but if you get a radio call (including Halo) you can't engage your meter until you've reached the address the pick up called from, and if you're early you can not engage the meter until the booked time.

So in the mean time the roof sign shows you're free for hire!.. Hence the 'sorry' shrug.. The driver knows the roof sign is on but he/she can not manually switch it off and can't engage the meter until he/she has reached their location and at the required time as per his/her radio or Halo booking.

tl/dr ~ fook de taxi's becoze I haven't a bleed'n clu 'N just want to rant

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Turn off the lights? Turn on the effing lights! Goddamn taxis driving around with only their parking lights, even outside the well lit areas.

I'd like brighter full beams, tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

It seems to be a trivial annoying thing.

If only there was a thread.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I drove a taxi for a few years, worse job I ever had ~ I hated it.. Anyway my roof sign, and most others are wired to the meter and switch off automatically once the meter is engaged.

No problem you'd think, but if you get a radio call (including Halo) you can't engage your meter until you've reached the address the pick up called from, and if you're early you can not engage the meter until the booked time.

So in the mean time the roof sign shows you're free for hire!.. Hence the 'sorry' shrug.. The driver knows the roof sign is on but he/she can not manually switch it off and can't engage the meter until he/she has reached their location and at the required time as per his/her radio or Halo booking.

tl/dr ~ fook de taxi's becoze I haven't a bleed'n clu 'N just want to rant

yup you could be on the way or about to pick up and the light is still on
    if we turned the meter on before you got in you'd go mental
    also bitd (backintheday) taxis were rare and so got a modicum of respect
    now not so much

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've always wondered this; obviously if I got into a taxi and the meter was already running I'd be thinking wtf, but what if you book a taxi for say 6pm, and the taxi arrives at 6, but he's left sitting outside until 6:15 while the fare runs around the house looking for their wallet/phone/shoe etc. Are they allowed to start the meter from when they arrived at the house (presuming they don't arrive early) or do they have to just sit there until the passenger comes out?

Toots wrote: »
    I've always wondered this; obviously if I got into a taxi and the meter was already running I'd be thinking wtf, but what if you book a taxi for say 6pm, and the taxi arrives at 6, but he's left sitting outside until 6:15 while the fare runs around the house looking for their wallet/phone/shoe etc. Are they allowed to start the meter from when they arrived at the house (presuming they don't arrive early) or do they have to just sit there until the passenger comes out?

it depends
    if you got in and there was a tenner on the meter what would you say?

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    it depends
    if you got in and there was a tenner on the meter what would you say?

Well if I'd left him sitting outside for 15 minutes while I farted about in the house, the first thing I'd be saying is I'm sorry. If I booked the taxi for 6pm, it'd be up to me to be ready to leave when it got there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Don't connect light to meter. Simples

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Don't connect light to meter. Simples

You would need to do a course for that.

Well if I'd left him sitting outside for 15 minutes while I farted about in the house, the first thing I'd be saying is I'm sorry. If I booked the taxi for 6pm, it'd be up to me to be ready to leave when it got there.

So youd be happy to get in a taxi with 15 minutes on the meter
    Coz that makes you a saint or the dahli lama

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

you say that but you're probably the same people that put your hand out for the taxi with no light anyway,

and also the same person putting your hand out for a bus that says "Out of Service"

Cry over better things.

you say that but you're probably the same people that put your hand out for the taxi with no light anyway,

and also the same person putting your hand out for a bus that says "Out of Service"

Cry over better things.

Is that a thing now ?
    It used to be man the fhck up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Is that a thing now ?
    It used to be man the fhck up

Problem is they wont man the fhck up. They always want something to cry over, might as well be something worthwhile that we can actually care about.

So youd be happy to get in a taxi with 15 minutes on the meter
    Coz that makes you a saint or the dahli lama

Maybe I'm a bit weird then, but as far as I'm concerned the taxi driver showed up on time to do his job, I don't think it's fair if he's losing out on potential earnings cos I couldn't get my sh!t together to be ready for the time that I arranged for him to be there. If he showed up 15 minutes early and I wasn't ready, and got in to find 15 minutes fare on the meter, I'd be very pissed off.

That being said, it'd be once in a blue moon that I'd get a taxi. Non drinker, so I just drive everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Cry over better things.

Nah taxi with no light goes past without a second glance. A guy drinking Kopperberg Strawberry and Lime gets a question mark though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its simple really.

Arrive at the address, give the number "Hi you ordered a taxi for six, I'm outside ~ take your time I'm ten minutes early (for example)".. At the appointed time I'd start the meter and not a minute before (actually I used to give a five minute grace period unless it was account work then the meter started bang on the time).

If you come out ten minutes late, tough its your own fault. But as I said I'd normally give five minutes grace.

I'm out of the game now, it was horrible. By the time I'd jacked it in I detested the job, its horrible. You're whoring out you and your car for less than minimum wage mid week with the hope you have a good weekend.. And in between that you've to listen to the spoofers who are lying through their teeth about the money they're making and the chic's they're riding ~ all bullsh*t of course.

Advertisement