Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting your hair down

Options
  • 16-03-2015 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭

What does it entail for you? And I'm not talking about loosening your bobbins. Someone in work said to me today that I should let my hair down more often, in other words get pissed. I won't be getting pissed tomorrow anyway. To me, letting my hair down would be racing around Mondello or going bowling.

A lot of people seem to think you weren't "out" at the weekend unless you were drinking. I like an occasional drink, don't get me wrong, but I get bored with it easily. How do you let your hair down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

How do you let your hair down?

I invite it over, telling it "we need to talk". I approach the subject firmly, yet with compassion. "This just isn't working out", I whisper, my voice cracking ever so slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Fapping without a duvet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I wouldn't worry about it Mister Vain. This whole idea that enjoying yourself during your days off should involve getting violently drunk, visiting a chipper at 4am, then staying in bed until 3PM the next day is one that is really depressing and lacking in any sort of imagination.

Feel free to have a few drinks if that is what you feel like doing. Don't think that it is the only way of 'letting your hair down'. I enjoy hiking, cycling and canoeing during my days off. Get outside with some friends and relax. It will often end up with us visiting a local bar for a few drinks and something to eat. It doesn't become the focal point of the weekend.

Don't feel the need to succumb to the lowest and most depressing societal norms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I let my hair down by simply staying in with a good book or maybe a DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I haven't let my hair down since I was about 21.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Have you considered cocooning yourself in duct tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

A bubble bath, a cup of tae and a j. Then into my Jimmy jams to watch a comedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Close off a road that is seldom used anyway and drive the living shit out of the mk2 ex rally car to break the fastest time set previously. Going out and having a few pints works also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I promise it I'll cut it and then don't. Always seems disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

smoke a j :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Just be normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

smoke a j :)

Or have a B J.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I went to the barber after work today, left quite a bit of hair down on the floor, then went out for dinner and drinks with friends, the meal was nice but the bill made what was left of the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, got home anyway about an hour ago, went to turn on the light and the bulb blew, had to try standing on the arm of an armchair to fit another bulb, in the dark, merry enough to be wobbling all over the place, and still managed to fit the bulb without electrocuting myself...

Hair today, gone tomorrow, I'm off to bed now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

A pot noodle & a w4nk usually hits the spot.

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for OP?

What does it entail for you?

Its not easy. For me it means having people who will do what I do -- all of what I do -- when I ask them to do it.

I hate planning it. I hate saying "On this day in the future I am switching off".

For me "letting my hair down" means I can wake up on a VERY rare morning and just declare "not today" - and I know that there are a number of people who will then step in and just DO it.

I have hardly ever done it though. But the relaxation - the confidence - the comfort - from knowing I CAN and COULD do it any time I want - is worth any amount of holidays. And those people who pull it off for me - many of whom are readers of boards - I owe you a lot of happy times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I never associated the phrase "letting your hair down" with getting drunk at all, I just thought of it as another way of saying relaxing. I'm pregnant at the moment so not drinking but I very rarely drink anyway so letting my hair down would involve maybe going out for a nice meal with my husband. We love trying out new restaurants.

Otherwise I'd say getting into my comfiest clothes, scrubbing off the make up and climbing into bed to binge watch some tv shows while snacking on lots and lots of junk food. No interruptions (for a few more months anyway!), bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Its not easy. For me it means having people who will do what I do -- all of what I do -- when I ask them to do it.

I hate planning it. I hate saying "On this day in the future I am switching off".

For me "letting my hair down" means I can wake up on a VERY rare morning and just declare "not today" - and I know that there are a number of people who will then step in and just DO it.

I have hardly ever done it though. But the relaxation - the confidence - the comfort - from knowing I CAN and COULD do it any time I want - is worth any amount of holidays. And those people who pull it off for me - many of whom are readers of boards - I owe you a lot of happy times :)

Ah yeah I'd say you'd need a break from being so damn interesting all the time like. Full time effort.

I like a day of visiting friends I don't get to see enough of. With coffee and cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

"Luke, I'm not your father"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Mickey H wrote: »
    A pot noodle & a w4nk usually hits the spot.

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for OP?

As long as you have your **** into the pot noodle, probably the only way to make it taste anyway edible............ "Pot Noodle...Mmm! monkey spanking gorgeous!"

• Advertisement

Ah yeah I'd say you'd need a break from being so damn interesting all the time like. Full time effort.

LOL if you say so :) I certainly didnt :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I haven't let my hair down since I was about 21.

Was it a marquee dishco? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Relaxing is one thing, letting your hair down is another in my world.

Letting my hair down involves alcohol and lampshades and sleeping in the bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Was it a marquee dishco? :)
    Na, it was the last time I wasn't bald

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Relaxing is one thing, letting your hair down is another in my world.

Letting my hair down involves alcohol and lampshades and sleeping in the bath.

Just make sure you take the lampshade off the lamp before you get into the bath pissed as a newt :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I wouldn't worry about it Mister Vain. This whole idea that enjoying yourself during your days off should involve getting violently drunk, visiting a chipper at 4am, then staying in bed until 3PM the next day is one that is really depressing and lacking in any sort of imagination.

Feel free to have a few drinks if that is what you feel like doing. Don't think that it is the only way of 'letting your hair down'. I enjoy hiking, cycling and canoeing during my days off. Get outside with some friends and relax. It will often end up with us visiting a local bar for a few drinks and something to eat. It doesn't become the focal point of the weekend.

Don't feel the need to succumb to the lowest and most depressing societal norms.

Don't act so high and mighty just because you consider your fun more wholesome

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Don't act so high and mighty just because you consider your fun more wholesome

Fair point bb, nothing wholesome was ever fun :D

I think though "letting your hair down" is just how you chill out, as opposed to "blowing off steam", which is more like the non-wholesome fun variety... :)

Not that I know much about that either though as I'm very reserved according to some of my friends. When I want to let my hair down, I go out with friends. When I want to blow off steam, I go out on my own. It's just better that way, for all concerned... :pac:

Advertisement