Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting an old chair - process?

Options
  • 16-03-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,999 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct subforum of HOME AND GARDEN, but I'll stick it here for now.

I have a few old wooden chairs like the one shown in this link:
    http://s973.photobucket.com/user/sok40/library/Chair?sort=3&page=1

I want to paint it to bring it back to life.

I am not really sure how it was originally treated, is it varnished or stained? I don't know.

I was planning to give it a rough sanding, then fine sanding, then wooden undercoat then preferred colour.

Then got to thinking if it would need something like Nitromors or not before I start?

Any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,

I think a sanding will do the trick.
    Give the primer a good base.

Give the chair a good wipe with white spirits to clean it up before the primer.

Post pics when finished.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 32,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks Karl, will do.

Edit: anyone know if this stuff is any good for this type of project, as it would be a whole lot handier than using a brush.

Primer http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rustoleum-AE0040028E8-400ml-Surface-Primer/dp/B001W03PSQ/ref=pd_cp_diy_0

Paint http://www.amazon.co.uk/400ml-Painters-Touch-Meadow-Green/dp/B001W03PCM/ref=pd_sim_diy_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F18X7WE8JPXMYMK5W4K

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Have a look at some vids online to see what other folks have been successful with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_jT3a-_K4I

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Give it a good sanding and wire wool in around the turnings. Give it a wash down with sugar soap and coat with zinser primer it'll come up well but take a fair deal of work.

I know it'll be hard work, hence the reason I am looking at those sprays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its a Windsor 'Smoking Bow' chair -or a recent copy of one. The genuine Windsors from the mid 1850's on are quite valuable so have the provenance checked out. Otherwise it needs a good clean with white spirit and I would go with spraying a primer and a few topcoats.

I'm guessing its a copy, as I have 3 of them that came from the mother-in-law and a farm kitchen.

Chair done yesterday, photo to follow later.

For anyone interested here's a couple of BEFORE and AFTER photos:

Before:
    Before1_zpscc3posxs.jpg
    Before2_zpsm1mjh9tu.jpg

After:
    After2_zpsm2j4im1v.jpg
    After1_zpsiqqavsjj.jpg

Quick sand, wipe down with sugar soap and then sprayed.
    Total time I'd estimate at around 20mins, including a 2nd coat.
    Used Valspar spray in a tin which had primer built-in, cost £12 in Homebase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just reread the thread - so you sprayed them rather than brushing paint on?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I found out about the sprays and decided to give one a go, since it would be a whole lot handier than painting.

Painting on primer first, then painting on the colour itself, including getting into all the nooks and crannies I knew would be hard work, having done it before.

With the spray, actual spray time for 2 coats was probably 10mins, its that easy.

It was only a trial run, as I wasn't too bothered about how it turned out. But happy enough with the outcome, and the other 2 will more than likely see a spray can over the next week or so. Just to decide on what colours to go for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Did you get away with using only one can of spray. Would it need a coat of lacquer to protect the paint?
    Lovely work by the way.

Yeah one can did the chair, more of less 2 coats. Surprised considering how dark the chair was.

Not sure if I would need a lacquer or not, I'd take any advice on that as I would like to protect the paint now that's it on.

Plan to do the other 2 in the coming week or so, I will post up pics once they are done too.

As an update this this, I noticed a couple of flakes of paint on the kitchen floor today. Only a minute amount.

Checked and found that down near the bottom of one of the legs a small amount of paint had peeled off, so it doesn't look like its very robust or else the kids were messing!

Perhaps it does need a lacquer on it?

Advertisement