Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to cancel?

Options
  • 16-03-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

This may fall under legal advice, so not sure if I can post here, but I've recently moved to a new apartment in a built up area (Clondalkin FWIW) and in this apartment I get absolutely 0 coverage no matter where I am in the apartment. I understand this isn't Meteor's fault, but I don't see why I should have to pay for a service I no longer receive for whatever reason.

I spoke to them via phone and was told it's my problem and nothing they can/will do about it.

I have checked with friends/family and both Vodafone and Three get perfect signal where I now live, so I want to move to one of them.

I have 5 months left on my contract, and am thinking of just cancelling the direct debit, but not sure what legal ramifications that will have. If anyone could give any input on this it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You can't get legal advice on boards but you can be advised that when you entered into the contract you agreed to make payments for a minimum period of time. Meteor aren't failing in their obligations here so why should they lose out just because you now want to renege on your agreement? They are still providing the service, your phone works in many other places just as before.
    Basically if Meteor are unwilling to waive the remainder of minimum period the fee then you still owe it. Cancelling the DD will not change that but it will mean they will have to chase you for the debt by other means such as sending invoices, engaging a debt collector or sue you in court. Unfortunately for them debt collectors have no authority and court cases are damned expensive so not likely worth it for small debts.
    While this cannot affect your ICB finance credit rating I believe the telecoms industry also maintain their own rating which may affect your ability to get a phone contract in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You can't get legal advice on boards but you can be advised that when you entered into the contract you agreed to make payments for a minimum period of time. Meteor aren't failing in their obligations here so why should they lose out just because you now want to renege on your agreement? They are still providing the service, your phone works in many other places just as before.
    Basically if Meteor are unwilling to waive the remainder of minimum period the fee then you still owe it. Cancelling the DD will not change that but it will mean they will have to chase you for the debt by other means such as sending invoices, engaging a debt collector or sue you in court. Unfortunately for them debt collectors have no authority and court cases are damned expensive so not likely worth it for small debts.
    While this cannot affect your ICB finance credit rating I believe the telecoms industry also maintain their own rating which may affect your ability to get a phone contract in the future.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone whose happy to pay for a service they don't receive in their home, where people spend most of their time... I said I know it's not Meteor's fault, but expecting someone to pay for something they no longer receive and not having any leniency/decency about them is bad show in my opinion. I've been a loyal customer to them for well over 10 years and clearly that' worth nothing to them.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Iano_128 wrote: »
    I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone whose happy to pay for a service they don't receive in their home, where people spend most of their time... I said I know it's not Meteor's fault, but expecting someone to pay for something they no longer receive and not having any leniency/decency about them is bad show in my opinion. I've been a loyal customer to them for well over 10 years and clearly that' worth nothing to them.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

And you're npw looking to move away from them, losing them money. You generally use the loyalty card when looking for them to give you a reason to stay.

And you're npw looking to move away from them, losing them money. You generally use the loyalty card when looking for them to give you a reason to stay.

Well of course I'm looking to move away from them, it not being their fault is hardly a reason for me to keep paying for no mobile coverage at home. I'd gladly stay with them but it's not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

To be honest, there is only a problem because your circumstances have changed. Meteor service hasn't changed. There is something in the building that is stopping the Meteor signal entering. Meteor didn't build the building so it is not their problem. You really should have checked all your services worked in the building before signing the housing contract.

• Advertisement

Zhane wrote: »
    To be honest, there is only a problem because your circumstances have changed. Meteor service hasn't changed. There is something in the building that is stopping the Meteor signal entering. Meteor didn't build the building so it is not their problem. You really should have checked all your services worked in the building before signing the housing contract.

You did see the "I understand this isn't Meteor's fault" right?? I know it's down to the building, still doesn't change the fact. You've just posted to tell me it's not Meteor's fault when my original post says "I know it's not Meteor's fault" so cheers for your useful input.

You did see the "I understand this isn't Meteor's fault" right?? I know it's down to the building, still doesn't change the fact. You've just posted to tell me it's not Meteor's fault when my original post says "I know it's not Meteor's fault" so cheers for your useful input.

You know all this and you're still not understanding why you can't cancel?

You're looking for a magical solution for you to get out this, but there just isn't. Cancel the contract, pay the termination charge and chalk it up to your own negligence.

You know all this and you're still not understanding why you can't cancel?

You're looking for a magical solution for you to get out this, but there just isn't. Cancel the contract, pay the termination charge and chalk it up to your own negligence.

I'm not looking for a magical solution. I didn't know what my consumer rights were, so I asked a question, I got an answer, and for whatever reason; you're being condescending and stating the obvious. Bellend.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jonnybangbang

What is it you expect meteor to do? Would you like them to erect a master in your living room maybe? Does any phone company receive signalling your apartment? It may be that there is something physically blocking the signal. Like other apartments, air ducts, etc... And it is probably blocking all signals.

I'm not looking for a magical solution. I didn't know what my consumer rights were, so I asked a question, I got an answer, and for whatever reason; you're being condescending and stating the obvious. Bellend.

And you're now throwing personal insults around because you didn't like the answer.

• Advertisement

What is it you expect meteor to do? Would you like them to erect a master in your living room maybe? Does any phone company receive signalling your apartment? It may be that there is something physically blocking the signal. Like other apartments, air ducts, etc... And it is probably blocking all signals.

Yes, I would like Meteor to erect a mast in my sitting room, that's exactly the end result I wanted from asking about my rights as a consumer. I said in my post that other networks work fine.

And you're now throwing personal insults around because you didn't like the answer.

Not because I didn't like the answer, but because you're being a dick about how you're talking to me. I didn't know what my rights as a consumer were, I asked, was told in this case I have none and that should have been the end of it, but forever reason you decided to ride in all high and mighty on your high horse and act like a smart ass. That's why I insulted you and it'll be worth the ban.

Not because I didn't like the answer, but because you're being a dick about how you're talking to me. I didn't know what my rights as a consumer were, I asked, was told in this case I have none and that should have been the end of it, but forever reason you decided to ride in all high and mighty on your high horse and act like a smart ass. That's why I insulted you and it'll be worth the ban.

haha, well thats okay. Good luck with your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Well that blew up quickly
    @Iano_128 Insulting other posters will earn you a ban if you continue in that vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Well quite simply you will have to pay the remainder of your contract. That is the answer. You can do it one of two ways. Continue to pay monthly until your contract ends - thus still receiving coverage where you can. Or you can approach Meteor and ask to terminate your contract early, pay the remainder you owe (your monthly amount X months left on contract) and be free to port your number to Voda/3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Or if meteor change their terms and conditions in the meantime you might be able to leave without penalty. However, they're unlikely to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Seems crazy that there is no coverage there! Seen it many times unfortunately they are still providing the service you signed up to originally so there really isn't anything they have to do. Your best bet to to be nice and see if you can negotiate the tariff down in some way due to you have being such a good customer in the past. Maybe see if they would do it for half what you were paying on the understanding that you are more than happy to go back to the full price tariff should coverage improve in the area in the future. Unlikely but better than nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Do you get signal outside of your apartment block, would you get it right by window or with phone outside window. If so you can get signal boosters that sit on the outside of window and boost the signal indoors.

If on the other hand you aren't getting signal even outside the apartment, I'd be getting back to meteor, there is no reason they should not be providing decent signal in Clondalkin I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Do you get signal outside of your apartment block, would you get it right by window or with phone outside window. If so you can get signal boosters that sit on the outside of window and boost the signal indoors.

If on the other hand you aren't getting signal even outside the apartment, I'd be getting back to meteor, there is no reason they should not be providing decent signal in Clondalkin I would think

Whether they should or shouldn't be providing a decent signal there (they definitely should!) is irrelevant. If the network did have coverage there and then for some reason stopped that coverage then that would be cause for complaint but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Pretty surprising that there is no coverage there given its proximity to the city. I use eMobile and have experience how poor the data can be outside of the City but would definitely have expected it to work there.

Advertisement