Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bangle cores...

Options
  • 16-03-2015 1:43pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a few copper and stainless steel bangle cores from this guy: www.bangleguy.com and they are great, good service too (I had to return a couple because I got the sizes wrong and he was more than helpful!).

They come out looking great.
    16315174679_119f7f9cc1.jpgIMG_4363 by devoresphotos, on Flickr

The shipping is a touch sore because of the weight but ordering a few of them together didn't seem to affect the price much so that was ok. The dollar to the Euro isn't helping much either but I couldn't find anything like them on this side of the pond!

Just a headsup for anyone out there turning this sort of thing...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Just watched (skipped) through some of his videos on youtube.
    Lovely items alright.
    The ring cores are nice too.

what price does he sell the finished bangles for ?
    would be a lovely present.
    K

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Apparently he sells them for 80-100 bucks.... :eek:
    I'm not sure I'd pay that but then some women might have that sort of money for jewellery, especially hand made stuff. I guess its probably not beyond the pale.
    (in fact I found this person charging 97 euro for one!) https://www.etsy.com/listing/187975707/bangle-bangle-bracelet-wood-bangle-wood

I have 6 on the way here now and have the wood to go in them from my drying wall ready to go. (nice elm burr and some two tone laburnum for a start... might do a walnut and glow-in-the-dark white one perhaps.)

I have one of his size 12 rings but its juuust too big so I'm getting an 11.
    15388223464_14d1fbda83.jpg20141211_224745 by devoresphotos, on Flickr

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Superb.

post pics of during your project.

I have yew and even some ebony (small pieces) if you want to try them too.
    Nice idea alright, but he has the population to sell them to. Not here.

K

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, basically I think if you want to be a pro-turner you really have to be in America. I dunno how far the whole "made by a craftsman in Ireland" would get you when it comes to the shipping costs :(

High end jewellery, big assed bowls and burial urns seem to be the three places that any sort of half decent profit can be made when you take into account the hours spent on it.

I make my own wood cores for the copper-cored bangles. I have a big bangle mold... (or should I said, had... I bust it 10 minutes ago taking a piece out of it :(:( )

It allows me to take a rough piece of wood and bathe it in resin to get a sort of split 50/50 resin/wood bangle. That piece above looked like this when it was taken out of the mold and before I carved it.

B9bGB45IQAE0NPe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Thanks for that post, DeVore - I'd seen those before but kinda discounted them as they are pricey. You've got good results with them though, puts them back on my "maybe" list!

• Advertisement

They are pricey, particularly now that the dollar is at near parity but if you give them as serious gifts (think: to the missus, daughter(s), their best friends, etc)... then you can give a gift that looks like a million bucks and has a much higher perceived value than the amount it will cost you. Considering what those gifts would normally run to, it then starts to look less pricey...
    I wouldn't be knocking them out willy nilly for anyone alright but they certainly make excellent gifts.

The blue in that resin is GloNations glow in the dark powder so when its been in the sun or near a light for a while, it charges up and in the evening/night it glows... kind of a neat little extra!

Advertisement