Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 years old with 'thumb' gap

Options
  • 16-03-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi

My 7 years old never got rid of the habit of sucking her thumb. She lost most baby teeth in a scooter accident, and the adult ones took ages to grow. When they did, they had been pushed by months and months of thumb sucking (believe me, we tried!!!), and now she has this massive gap between her top and bottom front teeth
    Most people think she doesn't have her top teeth yet because you can't even see them when she smiles, the gap is so wide.

She says she finds it difficult to bite, and I can believe that. Is it too early for her to get braces or corrective actions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Hi

My 7 years old never got rid of the habit of sucking her thumb. She lost most baby teeth in a scooter accident, and the adult ones took ages to grow. When they did, they had been pushed by months and months of thumb sucking (believe me, we tried!!!), and now she has this massive gap between her top and bottom front teeth
    Most people think she doesn't have her top teeth yet because you can't even see them when she smiles, the gap is so wide.

She says she finds it difficult to bite, and I can believe that. Is it too early for her to get braces or corrective actions?

Thanks

Has the thumb sucking stopped??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

A person I know was in a similar situation. Years of thumb sucking had led to her teeth not meeting when she closed her mouth resulting in an anterior open bite. There was bullying about her teeth not meeting and the subsequent gap. This led to a mixture of braces and implants to help correct the gap.

When she went to the orthodontist she was basically told that the orthodontist would not begin treatment until the thumb sucking had stopped.

If she was to get orthodontic treatment then she would need to cut out the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Thanks, it makes sense. She is still sucking it at night, unfortunately. She tries her best not to, but the minute she falls asleep, the thumb goes in. I have been told to try bandaging the thumb, we will start this from tonight

I have also booked an appointment with our dentist, will see what he advises

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Thanks, it makes sense. She is still sucking it at night, unfortunately. She tries her best not to, but the minute she falls asleep, the thumb goes in. I have been told to try bandaging the thumb, we will start this from tonight

I have also booked an appointment with our dentist, will see what he advises

dip the bandage in tabasco sauce or something else that a child will find disgusting. they may stop sooner.

Advertisement