Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking money to the Philippines

Options
  • 16-03-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi Folks. Hoping someone could help me with some info.
    In August I will be travelling to the Philippines for a 4 week stay. I will be based in Cebu and will not be in Manila at all.
    Can anyone explain the best way to bring money with me. The area I will be in can be remote so access to ATMs will be tough. Could I just bring all my cash with me and get it exchanged over there. Will be bringing about €12,000.
    It was also suggested I open a Philippines bank account in ireland before I go and deposit all my money into this.
    Any advice on the best and easiest way to have access to my money would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for reading this.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

If you do to bring the cash with you, it needs to be declared to Customs before you leave the country...

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/customs-excise-cash-controls.html

They randomly have detector dogs that can pick up the scent of a lot money going through departures... If you do get stopped you can be sure of a lot of questions.. not something you want before you head away!

I'd imagine you will have to declare it when you land into the Philippines as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That's a scary amount of money to even consider bringing in cash, I would be concerned for your security. You won't be the first one to have done this trip so hopefully someone will have a more secure option for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

That sounds like a crazy amount of money to be bringing.
    Surely anywhere you are going to be spending €400+ a day will have some atms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

I wouldn't even chance bringing such a large sum of money around with me in cash. Imagine if you were robbed?! - Lodge it into your own bank here and use your Debit card to take out cash while you're there. Never carry too much cash on you at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dratw

Even in the more remote areas it's fairly easy to find ATMs.

You'll get a horrific exchange rate if you try to change €12k when you get there and it's very difficult to open a Filippino bank account (parents live there, so speaking from their experience).

There's one bank, can't remember which off hand, that doesn't have a limit on how much you can withdraw from it. I think it might be BPI. They generally don't have transaction charges like most others either.

I'm going this weekend so will be able to check then which bank it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 dratw

Even in the more remote areas it's fairly easy to find ATMs. You're asking for trouble carrying that kind of money around with you!

You'll get a horrific exchange rate if you try to change €12k when you get there and it's very difficult to open a Filippino bank account (parents live there, so speaking from their experience).

There's one bank, can't remember which off hand, that doesn't have a limit on how much you can withdraw from it. I think it might be BPI. They generally don't have transaction charges like most others either.

I'm going this weekend so will be able to check then which bank it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

I've been to the Philippines about 5 times, most recently in January! I certainly wouldn't recommend bringing 12k in cash. I've been to Cebu before, and I can't say I had much hassle finding an ATM. Yeah some areas their were none, but that just meant making a short trip to where there was one, not a big deal.

So my advice would be bring some cash (I dunno, maybe 2 or 3k) with you and change that at the airport. Then just use your card. I really don't see you NOT finding an ATM. Also, quick hint...in Cebu city go to the HSBC ATM's if you can. They have a maximum daily withdrawal limit of 40,000 php, and actually sometimes more!! Where was most ATM's will only give you 10,000 - 20,000. It saves on time and also withdrawal fee's (there are none for overseas bank cards in HSBC machines).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Don't take €12k, I was there last year and took €500 and used to change €100 at a time in the money changers in the mall which gave a far better rate than my Irish debit card, also changing €12k to Peso is a bad idea as the Peso is at historically strong levels now versus the Euro, €1 = 46php compared to 57php last July. The ATM machines have a 200php levy on all foreign cards so taking cash is a good idea but €12k is dodgy unless you plan to be there a year or a ofw remitting, if you really must take €12k be very security conscious and try get it lodged into a bank ASAP, foreigners get killed there regularly for much smaller sums, especially if your going to Angeles City, a real danger area.

Advertisement