Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expunging old contacts

Options
  • 16-03-2015 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

I was sending a text on my phone the other day and I noticed that, in addition to the contacts I have saved in my phone, the list of possible contacts that came up included a whole range of people I have not been in touch with for over 10 years - an old boss, an ex, etc.

I know this is somehow coming from Gmail, but I would not have stored them as contacts in Gmail either, so Google seems to be taking every person I ever emailed since having a gmail account and putting these details up on my phone when I send a text.

This may sound silly, and why should I care, but I don't want a long-ago ex's details coming up on my phone for any reason. As Ronald Reagan said, if you're explaining, you're losing, and I don't want to find myself explaining to my wife why my ex's details are popping up on my phone, no matter how little it has to do with me in reality.

So, does anyone know how I can stop this, and desynchronise these contacts at a minimum, and ideally expunge them altogether?

All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Go to your gmail and at the top left where it says "gmail" click it, and go to contacts. Find and permanently delete the contact from there. It should stop syncing to your devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Within your contacts app / settings you should be able to find an option for "contacts to display" or something similar, going into that will give you the options of which contact lists to show, Eg:

SIM
    Whatsapp
    Google / Gmail
    Facebook
    Twitter
    etc

Remove gmail and they should all pop out of your contact list.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

Thanks, this did the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Always watch for any sync tick buttons! Google are becoming more devious with them to catch users out.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

I think I know how this happened. I was backing up photos from my phone to Google, and synced my laptop and phone. This must have synced everything.

Dealing with phones and computers and gadgets has become as painful and frustrating as navigating the human bureaucracy that they were meant to replace.

I'm getting old...

• Advertisement
Advertisement