Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Advice

Options
  • 16-03-2015 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, just wondering if you could give me some advice - situation has been going round my head all weekend. My situation, I have been offered subbing which is less than 10 hours for the rest of the year (which isn't a lot) - however it is two hours commute each way. The problem I have is I have subbed in a local school for a long time which would equate to 4/5 hours for each day I work. I have dates for the rest of the year and some other things as well - what should I do - take the hours and leave the subbing - even though the days I work match the work I do for the week and have to travel everyday? I know experience is everything but I have been in the local school for a while.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Would they be in a position to offer you subbing as it arises on top of those ten hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Would they be in a position to offer you subbing as it arises on top of those ten hours?

I was told that if it was available I would be getting it - but is there much subbing available? The subbing I have been doing during the year has been in my subject area. I have also said that I am available to work in the school I have worked in and don't want to let them down as I have been there a long time and don't want to cut the link for something that may not be available next year? I was kind of satisfied with the days I have organised for the next few weeks as I thought I wouldn't be getting any more long term work this year - however, if it was 22 hours I wouldn't hesitate.

I feel like a student who hasn't finished my homework :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I wouldn't worry about the first school you agreed to be available for should you decide to go with the job further away. Maybe that ten hour stint in your subject would look better in the long term? However if you look over the subbing hours you do in the first school, on average how many hours do you get a week? Then counter in the two hours travelling to the new School.

I wouldn't worry about the first school you agreed to be available for should you decide to go with the job further away. Maybe that ten hour stint in your subject would look better in the long term? However if you look over the subbing hours you do in the first school, on average how many hours do you get a week? Then counter in the two hours travelling to the new School.

Yes that's my problem, even if I got two days in the school I normally sub in, I would be matching the 10 hours in two days with little travel, know the students well and have good relationship with principal/staff and am dependable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

A principal may post with advice but I would have to assume that 10hrs of your own is far more rated in CV terms than casual subbing even if it is in your subject. Id be inclined to take the hit on the commute tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

If the hours in the other school are only until the end of the year, then I wouldn't bother with them.

I'd stay where you were and try and get hours of your own somewhere next year, from the start to the end of the academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

If the hours in the other school are only until the end of the year, then I wouldn't bother with them.

I'd stay where you were and try and get hours of your own somewhere next year, from the start to the end of the academic year.

That's grand until you get to shortlisting stage and you're looking at someone with experience v someone with none. It can be hard to even get to the interview stage.

Work for the full year would be everyone's realistic goal to be fair I'm sure the op tried this last summer!

On the other hand commuting is expensive and its a gamble as to how you do financially, you could lose money on it. The school would have no real way of knowing the subbing situation from now to summer.

We have had a massive burst of it in the last three weeks where I had to get in outside subs. Before that the three part-time teachers on staff were enough to cover any short absences.

Tough choice but I would try to get subject teaching experience if I could, like with all things only you know what will suit OP.

Best of luck with it.

That's grand until you get to shortlisting stage and you're looking at someone with experience v someone with none. It can be hard to even get to the interview stage.

Work for the full year would be everyone's realistic goal to be fair I'm sure the op tried this last summer!

Yes tried last summer to no avail however as I have said I have always got work at some stage and I've been happy enough this year as I have had some long sick leaves. I do have a substantial amount of experience and always get shortlisted for interview.

On the other hand commuting is expensive and its a gamble as to how you do financially, you could lose money on it. The school would have no real way of knowing the subbing situation from now to summer.

Yes this is why I'm concerned as I have had absolutely no subbing other than subject related subbing which is why worry that I'll commit to a school and end up working the hours worked and having to do the commute everyday for the sake of one/two classes which could be one in the morning and one in the afternoon with large amounts of time sitting in the staff room.

We have had a massive burst of it in the last three weeks where I had to get in outside subs. Before that the three part-time teachers on staff were enough to cover any short absences.

This is another thing that would worry me - I wouldn't like to have been working on part time hours picking whatever bit of subbing I could and someone new comes in and takes those hours away from me.

Tough choice but I would try to get subject teaching experience if I could, like with all things only you know what will suit OP.

Yes it has been a very tough choice. Thankfully I am getting subject teaching experience and that adds to my dilemma.

Thanks for your replies.

Well I don't really know if anything could come from it for next year so am presuming they are only until the end of the year.

I'm thinking I'm better off the way I am. Hopefully things will be better during the summer this year :)

Well I don't really know if anything could come from it for next year so am presuming they are only until the end of the year.

I'm thinking I'm better off the way I am. Hopefully things will be better during the summer this year :)

Has the school given you the reason for the hours arising? That's pretty important and would be my first question. If it's because a teacher has retired for example then those hours are going to be available next September and are a good long term prospect

• Advertisement

Has the school given you the reason for the hours arising? That's pretty important and would be my first question. If it's because a teacher has retired for example then those hours are going to be available next September and are a good long term prospect

Yes I got the reason, someone left job for another.

That sounds like the hours will exist next year then. It's sounds a better option than long term as hoc subbing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

In that case there could/should be hours next year?? In the subbing school are there any hours due to arise in the coming year?Where do you want to be next year?Could you do a 2 hour commute or move next year if the new school works out?

That sounds like the hours will exist next year then. It's sounds a better option than long term as hoc subbing

That doesn't mean I'll get them :) You can never guarantee anything these days especially with redeployment.

vamos! wrote: »
    Could you do a 2 hour commute or move next year if the new school works out?

Yes I have done this in the past but for full hours and it's a four hour commute two there and two back for a job less than ten hours so I would be hoping to get something more substantial than that.

Yes I have done this in the past but for full hours and it's a four hour commute two there and two back for a job less than ten hours so I would be hoping to get something more substantial than that.

In that case I would pick the school I was happiest in. I'm not a principal but could you build up experience by doing orals and marking? As far as I remember you have French as a subject? I actually thought it was really difficult to find French teachers. I'm still getting calls from places I covered maternity leave a number of years ago. Not easy to become permanent though! It is in a weird way nice to have to choose between two schools. At least you're in demand.

That doesn't mean I'll get them :) You can never guarantee anything these days especially with redeployment.

To be honest you sound like you've made up your mind. I'll bow out here. I've only ever come across one situation where the teacher in situ didn't get the hours.

vamos! wrote: »
    In that case I would pick the school I was happiest in. I'm not a principal but could you build up experience by doing orals and marking? As far as I remember you have French as a subject? I actually thought it was really difficult to find French teachers. I'm still getting calls from places I covered maternity leave a number of years ago. Not easy to become permanent though! It is in a weird way nice to have to choose between two schools. At least you're in demand.

Yes you're correct about my subject and as I have said I always seem to find something through the year. I have applied for correcting this year so hopefully I'll get that - good for my teaching and CV. No getting permanent is definitely not easy but I'm going to slog it out for another while and see what happens.

I am sending you a PM mtoutlemonde.

To be honest you sound like you've made up your mind. I'll bow out here. I've only ever come across one situation where the teacher in situ didn't get the hours.

I have but spent a long time thinking it over. It was a long weekend. I've seen people losing part time hours because the school was over quota so I know it happens. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

God bless your innocence. :-) I've seen plenty. I've had to fight for several teachers as a union rep. VEC's are particularly notorious for it.

katydid wrote: »
    God bless your innocence. :-) I've seen plenty. I've had to fight for several teachers as a union rep. VEC's are particularly notorious for it.

Innocence my eye. I work in an ETB school and it hasn't happened here. Fights for contract types/CIDs etc but no giving of hours to someone else entirely in my school at least

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Innocence my eye. I work in an ETB school and it hasn't happened here. Fights for contract types/CIDs etc but no giving of hours to someone else entirely in my school at least

You're lucky you haven't come across it. My VEC was particularly vindictive and we as a union had one or two cases every year up to recently. The most recent one was a couple of years ago, where someone came back and her hours were reduced from eighteen to two. The other sixteen hours were given to someone who wasn't even qualified in her area, but who had a qualification that enabled them to teach a couple of hours in a particular are they wanted to introduce. We could only presume that the new person demanded enough hours in other areas to make it worth their while and they were given what they wanted. There was absolutely no visible reason for it, but we had to fight for months to get her back her hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

4 hour commute each day is a mammoth task in itself, nevermind going into a class between it. I'd be killed after it after a few weeks. You'd have no car left under you by the end of the year!!! If you've done it before and you've found it to work then do what you see best.

Advertisement