Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallow Traffic lights

Options
  • 16-03-2015 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

The new traffic lights by the clock house are causing long tail backs all the way up st josephs road when they never existed before. Crazy planning decision. A journey that takes about one to two minutes took me thirteen minutes on 3:00 pm last wednesday. Maybe on a Friday rush hour you would think there might be a delay but on a wednesday this is ridiculous. Madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

peege wrote: »
    Crazy planning decision.
    That would be a road traffic decision, not a planning decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭peege

Victor wrote: »
    Somebody obviously planned to put the traffic lights there.
    You plan roads, you plan your traffic management systems.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Somebody obviously planned to put the traffic lights there.
    You plan roads, you plan your traffic management systems.

The poster clearly isn't refering to planning as in the profession of that name. Constructive posts only.

-- Moderator ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

The new traffic lights by the clock house are causing long tail backs all the way up st josephs road when they never existed before. Crazy planning decision. A journey that takes about one to two minutes took me thirteen minutes on 3:00 pm last wednesday. Maybe on a Friday rush hour you would think there might be a delay but on a wednesday this is ridiculous. Madness

I normally come in from Mitchelstown and get a clear run but I see the tailbacks up your road but in fairness it's the lights on the bridge that are causing the delay. Any time they are turned off the traffic moves freely. I see some people sneaking through the filling station so that would be an option. .

Truckermal wrote: »
    I normally come in from Mitchelstown and get a clear run but I see the tailbacks up your road but in fairness it's the lights on the bridge that are causing the delay. Any time they are turned off the traffic moves freely. I see some people sneaking through the filling station so that would be an option. .

I originally posted after a very frustrating 15 minute wait after hitting school traffic. I have never experienced delays this long during commute times (excluding rush hour) before they switched on the new traffic lights. These lights are causing more delays on the bridge too in my opinion. Even from the tesco side you could be caught when trying to turn left on the bridge; the traffic lights at the clock house turn green for about 10seconds.

• Advertisement

These traffic lights are an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

The designers, Roghan O Donovan, appear to be quiet proud of their handiwork according to their website, describing it as - "a prime example of how engineering projects can deliver an extra benefit for the environment of our towns and cities through the creation of significant improvements to the public realm"

rod.ie/mallow-streetscape (sorry - not enough posts to post a proper link)

Probably grabbed their cheque and legged it back to Dublin before the poor Mallow Town Council copped that the town had been well and truly buggered.

Personally I blame the people who had clamoured for years for the statue of Sammy Davis.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The designers, Roghan O Donovan, appear to be quiet proud of their handiwork according to their website, describing it as - "a prime example of how engineering projects can deliver an extra benefit for the environment of our towns and cities through the creation of significant improvements to the public realm"

rod.ie/mallow-streetscape (sorry - not enough posts to post a proper link)

Probably grabbed their cheque and legged it back to Dublin before the poor Mallow Town Council copped that the town had been well and truly buggered.

Personally I blame the people who had clamoured for years for the statue of Sammy Davis.

It's fairly clear that ROD are talking about the overall project, not just traffic lights or issues with such. If there's on-going issues with the traffic lights, it's up to the county council to get the issues sorted.

The overall project is much more than traffic lights:
    In September 2014, the Mallow Streetscape and Urban Regeneration was completed on site and is a prime example of how engineering projects can deliver an extra benefit for the environment of our towns and cities through the creation of significant improvements to the public realm. Davis Square is a new civic space that has been created within the original width of Davis Street at the Clock Tower junction. The main focus of the new square is a statue of Thomas Davis the New Irelander to commemorate the bicentenary of his birth in 1814. We worked with Mallow Town Council, the Architects Department of Cork County Council and Cunnane Stratton Reynolds, Landscape Architects, on the design of this intricate scheme with stepped levels, public seating and high-quality stone paving. Considerable works were also undertaken in relation to services throughout the area with undergrounding of ESB cables and upgrading of the drainage network. In addition to the works to the new Davis Square, regeneration works were also carried out on surrounding streets and car parks to improve the road surfacing, paving and footpaths throughout the area. New traffic lights were also installed at the junction of Davis Street and the N73, and linked with those at the Park Road junction to alleviate existing traffic congestion in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If the one way system was going up the town instead of down there would be no backlog as the traffic coming from Fermoy Mitchlestown would have a straight run. This was pointed out to the town council years ago but they ignored it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Sammy Davis? :)

From this distance the place looks much improved.

ROD-mallow-after2.png

Of course, we all know these projects are not always implemented well, eg stupid decisions made regarding cycle facilities.

Traffic signals need tweaking to get them working optimally.

A journey that takes about one to two minutes took me thirteen minutes on 3:00 pm last wednesday.

WRT to general traffic and school traffic being held up, what are the typical distances to key locations across the town? The centre seems to be only a few km across.

• Advertisement

The photo may look nice Iwannahurl but believe me this cock up of a job has brought Dublin style tailbacks to a quiet Co Cork Town.

The place has been strangled by shutting down one lane in what was already the worst bottleneck in the town but seriously that is secondary to the absolute and utter incompetence of the traffic light design. They’ve had months to sort out and the best solution they’ve come up with is to switch them off which significantly improves the situation. It’s well beyond a tweaking affair.

I feel sorry for any business trying to operate down that end of the town especially as the Council will probably send them out big bills for rates to fund the next wave of "bollardisation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If the one way system was going up the town instead of down there would be no backlog as the traffic coming from Fermoy Mitchlestown would have a straight run. This was pointed out to the town council years ago but they ignored it.

If the one-way system was thus you would have a huge jam at the Park Rd junction near the co-op as pretty much every movement there would be a conflicting one. The solution surely is to make Thomas Davis Sq access only and do away with these unnecessary lights, pushing the vast bulk of the traffic over the bridge and via the Park Rd

The ultimate solution of course is to build the M20...schemes such as this have probably designed assuming that the M20 is built, and we wont tsee that in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If the one-way system was thus you would have a huge jam at the Park Rd junction near the co-op as pretty much every movement there would be a conflicting one. The solution surely is to make Thomas Davis Sq access only and do away with these unnecessary lights, pushing the vast bulk of the traffic over the bridge and via the Park Rd

The ultimate solution of course is to build the M20...schemes such as this have probably designed assuming that the M20 is built, and we wont tsee that in my lifetime.
    In fairness it wouldn't be as bad as going down the town as you have more roads to branch out from.

The photo may look nice Iwannahurl but believe me this cock up of a job has brought Dublin style tailbacks to a quiet Co Cork Town.

Is the scheme related to the Mallow Traffic & Transportation Study?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Why are you driving a 2 minute journey?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Is the scheme related to the Mallow Traffic & Transportation Study[/URL]?

Possibly. They've certainly achieved one of their goals.

From their document:
    "The development of the town’s public transport system and road network so that most journeys within the urban area can be completed within about 15 minute"

It now takes 15minutes to cross the bridge. Unfortunately it used to take about 30 seconds.

Overall, Mallow looks like a hideous traffic mess to me.

I wouldn't like to have to walk or cycle through this roundabout, and I suspect it's going to get even worse.

By the way, what's the red line all about?

red line is the Tourist trail to the Station I think

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is about N72 and 'local' traffic. The M20 itself will have little effect.

The (town?) council messed up with the N72 bypass, when they zoned the land for the intended route as residential.

This is about N72 and 'local' traffic. The M20 itself will have little effect.

The (town?) council messed up with the N72 bypass, when they zoned the land for the intended route as residential.

Are you suggesting that none of the traffic using the new lights has come from or is going to the N20? A goodly proportion of it does just that

Remove the traffic that flows through the Town Centre to and from the N20 and you have the problem half solved. The N72 bypass is in any case all tied up with the M20 proposal. Build the M20 and all the N72 traffic will no longer come through the Town, it will flow via across from the M20 intersection to the second railway Station roundabout and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

red line is the Tourist trail to the Station I think

Mallow gets tourists? :pac: Are they lost?

Must be, if they need a 'trail'.

Why are you driving a 2 minute journey?

Driving to lidl for the shopping. I put my shopping bags in the boot of my car.

Driving to lidl for the shopping.

Only one way there and back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mallowmania

The last post on this topic was nearly two years ago and the issue of the traffic lights in Mallow remains unresolved. Mallow does not now have a town council and those responsible for the creation of the much derided 'plaza' have long gone and are as unaccountable now as they seem to have been when it was planned. Apparently the 'plaza' won an award but certainly it was not awarded by the citizens of Mallow who consider it to be a monstrous waste of money and partly responsible for the traffic problems. As has been commented by many in this thread, the solution is simple; get rid of the 'plaza' and reinstate the two lanes of traffic on Tuckey's Hill in front of the clockhouse. Further to this, the three sets of traffic lights, at the clockhouse, and either side of the bridge should be done away with and replaced by mini roundabouts with pedestrian crossings to look after those on foot. There is plenty of room for mini roundabouts. They encourage motorists to take care and to be courteous instead of focussing themselves on the changing lights, and more importantly,the traffic would flow. Its quite simple really but would those in authority over us be prepared to admit that they have got it wrong?

I was informed recently that a new housing development is planned up St Josephs Road, 300 social houses in behind Castle Grove on the left hand side. The council have already marked out where the road is to be widened. They are planning to put in a roundabout 100 yards after the entrance to Castle Park to facilitate the extra traffic. Also another primary school is currently under construction up St Josephs Road too.

This will lead to traffic carnage in my opinion.

Maybe then they will realise that the traffic lights need to go.

The crowd in charge are reactive. They won't attempt to solve any problem until the sh**e hits the fan!

The one way street through town is going the wrong direction! This also leads to congestion.

Yes, more or less with the one way system.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »

Advertisement