Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here comes trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

That is looking cool, what type of game are you trying to make ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Looking good, the guy on the left looks like inspector gadget :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Thanks Lonestone & Benzino!

It's a turn based strategy, with similarities to games like Xcom and Jagged Alliance. My first attempt at a game a few years ago was along these lines, and eventually had to accept it was too complicated. So it's sort of like a grudge match : )

You're the second person to say that, Benzino. Let's hope there no lawsuits on the way!

Thanks Lonestone & Benzino!

It's a turn based strategy, with similarities to games like Xcom and Jagged Alliance. My first attempt at a game a few years ago was along these lines, and eventually had to accept it was too complicated. So it's sort of like a grudge match : )

You're the second person to say that, Benzino. Let's hope there no lawsuits on the way!

Cool I love turn based isometric type of games, are you doing all the art assets and stuff like that your self

I've no ability at illustration or modelling, so will be looking at some combination of purchased assets and custom art.

• Advertisement

ah ok well if your stuck some thing and need a dig out give me a pm

Thank you for the offer. Can you give me the link to your portfolio again?

portfolio and reel are out of date anyway but sure take a gander http://dublinnights.blogspot.ie/

Some early footage of the game in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zt1cGEzFmU

Watch as our intrepid hero takes on two shady characters in trench coats and fedoras, who may or may not resemble Inspector Gagdet! Would be grateful for any feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Nice video. :)
    It really helped me to see what the game idea was about.
    The mechanics look good. I'm a fan of the mmorpg's and it has that kind of a feel as well as a GTA type look.
    The turn based idea is a nice twist for someone who plays a lot of real time rpgs.
    I think people like myself could relate to it, as well as those who play a lot of turn based strategies.
    I really enjoyed FTL and Darkest Dungeon. They might be good inspiration for new mechanics in gameplay.

One of the mechanics in FTL that kept me playing, was the ability in fights to que up different strategies and attacks.
    A small weapon would be charged and I could keep it on standby while I wait for the larger slower weapons to charge. Then barrage attack shields to punch through to weapons. I enjoyed having the power to effect my chances.
    A comparison in your game could be a concentration bar that goes up every turn. When it reaches max, the player could have use of a special ability(stuns,crits,slow debuff etc) and/or gain experience/stat points.

Darkest dungeon was a bit too dark after a while :D
    I did like the stress mechanic as it tended to force strategy. Having to choose when to fight and when to back away from encounters, it added another layer to the game. Although a stressful one!
    Also the team management was addictive. Choosing which character you invested in and which you let die or dismiss, was a great way to get the player to identify with the characters. A sentimental gesture on the players part.

That's all I got for now, back to art practise haha.
    Looks good, keep us posted :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for the suggestions. Hoping to include special attacks with status effects, but not quite sure how it will work yet. Am thinking along the lines of unlocking abilities through perks, which would in turn have requisite stat and/or skill requirements. Could also set it up so certain weapons allow for special attacks. Something like an aimed shot having +10 chance to hit, but costing +1AP.

Will have a think about the concentration idea, as it sounds like a good way to limit the use of special attacks.

It's been a while, roughly 9 months of full throttle development, but have made fairly decent progress on the turn based rpg I'm working on.

Here's the second development video, in which the protagonist encounters a potential ally, who has been lured into a desolate part of the city, and ambushed by a group of paramilitary survivalists. While there's still a lot of work to do, the video gives a good idea where all this is headed.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AOYSsnt5fA

If anyone has any observations or would like to talk over anything in the video, please let me know : )

The game, which is called Vigilantes, has come along quite a bit over the last few months. An artist has started working on the project, and a good few of the features have been implemented. Here are a couple of illustrations which will be used in the game:

This one will be the base for the main menu.

12185066_1058555400842959_6438290938947585157_o.jpg

And this one will introduce one of the three gangs in the game, the mafia.

12194871_1062508327114333_1060183104762462794_o.jpg

I also recently updated the splash screen to something better looking. There's no sound yet, as the music spans 2 scenes, so adding it would result in an abrupt stop.

Comments and criticism welcome!

Advertisement