Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea what wood is this?

Options
  • 15-03-2015 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering would anyone have any idea what wood this is?

Sorry if wrong forum.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It's some kind of pine I would think due to the presence of knots, do I see the tenon coming through on the top of the legs ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

True - looks like some type of soft-wood.
    You can see the open end grain in the table top pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

thanks guys

I was thinking it was with a dark stain on it......the sister in law was thinking it was mahogany....I just laughed....

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

May be elm, any of the undersides not stained?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its very crude, I can see signs of deliberate distressing and there are ripple marks across the top -? from a planer. Is it a recent Far Eastern job ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

recipio wrote: »
    Its very crude, I can see signs of deliberate distressing and there are ripple marks across the top -? from a planer. Is it a recent Far Eastern job ?

We had the exact same table and chair set a few years back, am certain it was from the far east via Bargaintown if I remember correctly.

It was a fairly heavy/solid set, but the fittings for holding it together were terribly poor quality and not up to the job. Had to add strengthening brackets a few times, especially on the chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

We had the exact same table and chair set a few years back, am certain it was from the far east via Bargaintown if I remember correctly.

It was a fairly heavy/solid set, but the fittings for holding it together were terribly poor quality and not up to the job. Had to add strengthening brackets a few times, especially on the chairs.

Exactly, if its from the Far east the wood could be anything - usually stained rubber tree wood or 'parawood'.Its also been infested with woodworm - unless those are drill holes for 'authenticity ' !

Advertisement