Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throat irritation from pool swimmimg

Options
  • 15-03-2015 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I was wondering can anyone give me some ideas or direction with my query. I've struggled massively with throat irritation leading to further respiratory infections.

Sorry I'll try be direct and clear as there are numerous issues but all lead to the same problem but mainly relating this post to swimming advise.

I swim three times a week on average 3km per set in a regular 25m pool chlorinated pool. There is a sensitivity issue with my throat no one has explained what is wrong but have some ideas but won't go into it as seeing another ENT very soon. Anyway swimming my throat is sore to swallow, closing over sensation, swelling, max efforts start coughing uncontrollably as tickling in the lungs (not a great explanation), when badly irritated turns into infection on the tonsils and then onto the chest.

I'm sure most people would think why not just stop swimming when I tell them what I have to take just to be an average triathlete. Have a half Ironman late June so time isn't on my side and the infections are stoping my running and biking.

Pre swimming routine
    Banana before swimming to help line the throat due to mastication
    Strepsil
    Difflam spray
    Post swim
    Strepsil
    Difflam spray

Old routine as took 5 years out away from pool after seen doctors recommended I had sports induced asthma and used ventolin inhaler
    Anti Histamine
    Inhaler pre & post swim
    Strepsils
    Diflam spray & mouth wash
    Nose plug

Obviously best to go back to old routine as current isn't working not that the old was amazing either but my question is has anyone else got similar issues and what is there routine or can someone recommend anything else. Would be best to swim in UCD ozone pool or sea swim but UCD isn't cheap and sea I'm a soft triathlete but will go early May but weather doesn't always allow it and pool swimming is very handy.

Sorry for the amount of detail tried to keep it short.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Both last year and the year before I picked up an infection like this. I also went to the doctor who thought it may be asthma but gave me antibiotics to rule an infection out first.

What I have learnt is that when you are continually training at a high intensity your immune system is completely compromised so as so as you pick up a respiratory infection, it stays and moves around while you continue to train.

So having learnt my lesson, I still picked up an infection in January from the cold weather, and I backed off the training until it went (which I really didn't want to do as I was training for the Irish LC Open) and then started back training harder than ever. The only difference were following two bits of advice my training colleagues told me which was to take vitamins (to boost weakened immune systems) and wear a scarf and hat in cold/wet weather.

I don't think high doses of strepsils will help tbh and I'm sceptical about bananas though I appreciate many swimmers swear by them.

Having said that, If you feel you are having asthmatic problems don't ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ChristopherJK

Freddio wrote: »
    Both last year and the year before I picked up an infection like this. I also went to the doctor who thought it may be asthma but gave me antibiotics to rule an infection out first.

Thanks Freddio I have to agree came back too soon and straight back at the level of training.

Will check out the rest pretty feed up with it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

NAC is an ozone pool rather than a chlorine pool, if that's the underlying chemical issue. Usually swimmers are affected by one or the other but I can say that whenever I swim in Belvedere or Coolmine (both chlorinated) I have sinus issues for days after whereas after a swim in the NAC I have no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I know this might sound mad, but few of the lads swear by getting proper ear plugs, not just the ones off the shelf but ones that cost 60euro. They have stopped them getting infections relating to throat/ears etc from doing a lot of swimming. plus has anyone tried nose plugs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ChristopherJK

mad m wrote: »
    I know this might sound mad, but few of the lads swear by getting proper ear plugs, not just the ones off the shelf but ones that cost 60euro. They have stopped them getting infections relating to throat/ears etc from doing a lot of swimming. plus has anyone tried nose plugs also.

Thanks Mad M where do you get those ear plugs?

Gonna take two weeks out and return with nose & ear plugs but plan to get assessed for asthma again under pressure with timeframe 70.3 June 21st.

• Advertisement

I'll ask them tomorrow and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

it's just really annoying, I get blocked nose after a swim and a crap load of water in the back of my throat. I can't wear nose clips, be interested to read about the ear plugs. I did have to get a sinus drain done caused by swimming

Sorry for not getting back about ear plugs. Totally forgot. Will hopefully remember during week.

Another great thing to have is a sinus rinse kit. Have found it invaluable in past if the sinuses start to act up.

http://shop.neilmed.com/Sinus-Rinse-K-ENU-US-Complete-Kit/dp/B00M8NZR2I?class=quickView&field_availability=-2&field_browse=9814764011&id=Sinus+Rinse+K-ENU-US+Complete+Kit&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Cprice&searchNodeID=9814764011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

Specially moleded ear plugs

http://www.bonavox.ie

01 8742341

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Ive had sinus surgery and my sinus are always irritated by the pool.

What I now do is use REALLY good ear plugs and nose clip - the ordinary ones were still letting water seep in. These ones let nothing past.

Earplugs:
    Something like this - bought about 20 pairs off ebay for about 20 pound 5 years ago and Im actually still on the first pair for swimming although I have also use them for sleeping sometimes and flying, exams, Ive given some pairs away etc.. The very expensive moulded ones are often reviewed as letting water in - these tree types let nothing in.

906.jpg

Nose clip - I struggled with various nose clips for ages and although I had some success with some types, eventually they all let water in and a failure is catastrophic, it floods the sinuses with chlorinated water so I couldnt have a failure. I invested in an expensive diving nose clip and although it looks big - it was pure freedom. Its NEVER failed.

noeclippool1.jpg

In addition to the above I also rinse regularly and I am permanently on low dose nasal steroid spray - but the ear plugs and nose clip 99% resolved chlorine issues for me.

Although I did not swim competitively I used to swim 2k three times a week so I needed to keep my sinus issues under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Is your offer of a freebie still standing ?

I was just back swimming today after surgery, still on vertigo meds so the ole ears need protecting.

I was actually thinking of this thread while I was swimming !!!

Advertisement