Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The confusion between 'Paddy' and 'Patty' amongst simple Americans

Options
  • 15-03-2015 11:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭

How did this happen? It seems to get worse every year as the bandwagon over there grows year by year with more idiots looking for an excuse to drink.

I don't understand how someone celebrates a holiday they can't even respect enough to spell correctly.

Inb4 atheists mocking religious holidays as a whole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Prefer Patty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

kneemos wrote: »
    Prefer Patty.

With a bit of cheese and ketchup on top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Life's too short

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Murica.

Feck them.

Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Patty is what you make a piece of beef into before making a burger but hey if the Yanks want to call it that sure let them away with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's the funny way they pronounce things, allied with a crumbling education system. If your name is Smith you're inevitably going to be nicknamed Smitty, pronounced Smiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They're right though, there's no D in Patrick.

(Runs away)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

How did this happen? It seems to get worse every year as the bandwagon over there grows year by year with more idiots looking for an excuse to drink.

I don't understand how someone celebrates a holiday they can't even respect enough to spell correctly.

Your first paragraph could be talking about Ireland and the 'idiots looking for an excuse to drink'.

I agree with your second paragraph completely though. It is Patrick rather than Paddy after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

hynesie08 wrote: »
    They're right though, there's no D in Patrick.

(Runs away)

Actually makes sense.
    If you had never seen Patrick before you could quite easily shorten it to Patty.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

It's the funny way they pronounce things, allied with a crumbling education system. If your name is Smith you're inevitably going to be nicknamed Smitty, pronounced Smiddy.

Yeah, the feckers, my 5 year old niece thinks Anna is pronounced 'Honna'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I don't like 'Patty' myself but the reason they use it, or one of them anyway, is because calling an Irishman a 'Paddy' or a 'Mick' can be seen as insulting.

A bit like calling someone from Pakistan a Paki I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

kneemos wrote: »
    Actually makes sense.
    If you had never seen Patrick before you could quite easily shorten it to Patty.

That's probably how it started out, the diminituve of Patrick being Patty. In American speech the T is sounded as a D when it is between vowels (the Flap T) so it is natural then to write it as it is spoken, Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Path - Sidewalk
    Bonnet - Hood
    Paddy - Patty

Americans get it all wrong. One word of warning though. Asking an American lad if you can bum a fag may result in you getting a smack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

'Paddy' is a contraction of 'Pádraig', the Irish for 'Patrick'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's hardly restricted to 'simple' Americans. I find the reference to Patrick's Day - common on radio here - equally grating. I'm not remotely religious but give a thing its proper name - it's St.Patrick's Day and Paddy's Day when you're growing up (in my experience) and there's no need for the media to dumb it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

A fanny is not your back bum.

This is worser

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Melodeon wrote: »
    'Paddy' is a contraction of 'Pádraig', the Irish for 'Patrick'.
    And there wasn't that much English spoken in these parts in the fifth century.

Advertisement