Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Languages

Options
  • 14-03-2015 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I know there are a few threads on this course already but none of them relate exactly to the modules I look to do, so hopefully someone can give me an insight into this course, the UL website isn't very clear at all.

Basically, I'm stuck between European Studies and Applied Languages. I'm leaning towards the latter due to the fact you can study 3 languages, and I wouldn't have to do any modules in Law or Sociology like in E. Studies.

Has anyone done Applied Languages with French at advanced level, and Spanish at beginners level? I'm also thinking of taking up German at beginner's level too, I like the language even though my friends tell me grammar is hard at Leaving Cert level. I could take up Irish, I like the language a lot, but it's a pretty much dead language.

Also, what is the work load like? I know that with 3 languages it's going to be very demanding, but I love languages so hopefully the work won't seem too tedious. I want to get into interpretation, but it would be nice to have language teaching in my back pocket.

Sorry for the wall of text but this place is the only place where I can get information on the course!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Whatever languages you take at a beginners level, you then go into advanced after a year and a half or two years. I started with beginners German and now I am onto advanced and basically languages take all my time. I coul spend up to 5 hours a day (after classes) on my German.

If you do love languages, I definitely think Applied Languages is a good choice but just be prepared for the level of work it demands.

In UL, when you do a language you have 4 or 5 classes a week of that languages. Each one will be different so for me I have:
    History and Politics in German
    Newspapers and Debates in German
    German Literature
    and
    German Grammar.

The people who major in this language have 2 or 3 more classes. It's just a lot of time and each class demands another amount of work, it's like having 4 extra modules!

I'm Languages, Lit and Film but work/talk with alot of Applied Languages so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Wow, that is a lot of work.
    Thanks for the tips though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cbro97al

Hi I am a second year applied languages student about to go on my Co-op in Germany and I am very happy with my choice. To get started I want to say that Applied Languages and European Studies have nothing in common and don't be mislead into thinking so. In university you undertake 5 'modules' and each carries similar importance. With regards Applied Languages you can take 2 or 3 languages and these take up 2 or 3 modules respectively . You must also take a 'literature' module to do with one of your languages which can be to do with any language except for Japanese.
    There is no Japanese literature module and you must take one to do with one of your other languages. I did Spanish lit and enjoyed it a lot. It is not strictly literature but includes movie, society and sometimes politics of your chosen language. I do know that the German 'lit' module is to do with the Enlightenment or something.
    So that is either 3 or 4 modules depending on whether you do 2 or 3 languages. You MUST undertake a Linguistics module in first year, and all applied languages students must take it. Most people didn't really enjoy it and since it is only an introduction to the field it is not something that is very useful. In second year you MUST undertake a module called 'Language and Technology' and this one was much more enjoyable. It entails the use of technology for language learning and is very interesting in MY opinion. Some people like it, some don't.
    For people who undertake 3 languages they are your modules and it makes up the 30 credits you need (It is 6 credits per module).
    For people that do 2 languages such as myself there is an option of either Politics, Marketing and I believe another one. Beware that in first year you DON'T do any Marketing but instead do a year of economics which a lot of other courses have also. With regards this 'elective' as it is known, it is not a main focus of your degree and so isn't something that need be worried about. However you must undertake one of these modules for at least first or second year so you have to suck it up if you don't like it. I didn't enjoy economics in first year but enjoyed marketing in second so it is down to the individual.
    In third year when you come back from Erasmus you can either continue with your elective or do another module such as TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), the idea is specializing in something which is what is great about AL.
    However I've gone on too long and will return to tell why European studies is nothing like AL

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

Hi,

Do Applied Languages,especially if you don't want to do the sociology/history thing.

In first year you have the option of doing 2 languages + 3rd language/politics or a literature module + Linguistics.

I loved linguistics unlike the person who posted above, we had a fantastic lecturer and the modules are really helpful if you decide to do a linguistics based FYP or take on TESOL(Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).

In Second year you continue - 2 Languages + elective(3rd language, pol, economics) + Language Technology which is also a really good module.

When you come back in 3rd year you have a lot of choices to make
    If you would like to be a teacher you need to do
    Two core language modules and two corresponding literature modules in order to fulfill Teaching Council's requirements.
    e.g. German + German Lit, Spanish + Spanish Lit.
    *The option to take on TESOL or Technical Writing(Website Design) or continue with the third language/politics or economics.
    *You can take on TESOL as an extra module

In third year I did German, German lit, Spanish, Spanish Lit and TESOL as well as keeping French!

This was a lot of work. I think the people who were most successful on the course were those who focused on two language modules + elective!
    I really enjoyed it and the course is really helping with my MA in TESOL. If you need anymore advice PM :)

Advertisement