Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are county councils still leasing houses from landlords under the RAS Scheme?

Options
  • 14-03-2015 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Are councils still leasing houses from Landlords under the RAS Scheme.

I rang Offaly Council and they did not seem very keen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The RAS scheme is still going. An interested Landlord or Tenant is advised to contact their local council for more information.
    Not sure why Offaly CC doesn't seem interested...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Fingal County Council deffo are as I enquired about their rates for my area recently and they sent me contracts to sign etc if I wanted to sign up.

Dublin also, but in high demand areas only. They have particular areas where they are not taking any more onto the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Its not a good move for landlords. I think must landlords arent interested for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

What is the difference between me renting it out and accepting RAS and me formally being in a co co RAS scheme?

As far as I can see in the formal scheme you are guaranteed rent if free but are tied for 5 years etc.

If the RAS cap is 1000 per month, in the formal scheme that is what you get. If I was to rent direct to someone with RAS could they top it up?
    Hope that makes sense!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    What is the difference between me renting it out and accepting RAS and me formally being in a co co RAS scheme?

As far as I can see in the formal scheme you are guaranteed rent if free but are tied for 5 years etc.

If the RAS cap is 1000 per month, in the formal scheme that is what you get. If I was to rent direct to someone with RAS could they top it up?
    Hope that makes sense!
    Thanks

As far as I know for Tenant to be under RAS house has to be approved by the council and landlord has to sign contract with the council. You probably mean accepting rent allowance which tenancy is between landlord and tenant. RA is paid to tenant not the landlord who then pays landlord or not if he so wishes.

RAS downsides are landlord has no say in who council puts into the house and no come back on any damage done by tenant. Also if tenant disappears council may simply end the contract. The above is from personal experience unfortunately.

Other downsides are under market rent paid by council. Definitely not for a landlord in Dublin or areas of high demand ok for likes of landlord where high vacancy rate.

• Advertisement

Hope that makes sense!
    Thanks

RAS rent will be lower than market conditions too.
    To give a rough idea, my hour in Fingal was renting at €1400 per month privately. Fingal offered €1100 under the RAS.

kceire wrote: »
    RAS rent will be lower than market conditions too.
    To give a rough idea, my hour in Fingal was renting at €1400 per month privately. Fingal offered €1100 under the RAS.

Thanks. Fingal offered €1200 which I thought was market rate, guess I can add 100-150 onto it.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Thanks. Fingal offered €1200 which I thought was market rate, guess I can add 100-150 onto it.

Only in the private market. Tops up above the permitted contributions are not allowed so if you are going the RAS or RA route find out the max for the area.

Only in the private market. Tops up above the permitted contributions are not allowed so if you are going the RAS or RA route find out the max for the area.

I meant private - thanks.

Sorry, just read back through the email there. Fingal actually increased their rent allowances in December. I was offered €1300 for our property for RAS but €1100 for the long term lease scheme (10 years).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Interesting, so 200pm difference in RAS v Lease = 2400 py difference = 24,000 difference over the 10 years. On a modern property there should be no way you'd be spending 24k in 10 years on repairs and maintenance. A good option for an absentee landlord maybe but no option for someone who can manage the property locally.

murphaph wrote: »
    Interesting, so 200pm difference in RAS v Lease = 2400 py difference = 24,000 difference over the 10 years. On a modern property there should be no way you'd be spending 24k in 10 years on repairs and maintenance. A good option for an absentee landlord maybe but no option for someone who can manage the property locally.

Quotes I got were 1200 & 1070.

With the LT scheme they maintain the property right?

Quotes I got were 1200 & 1070.

With the LT scheme they maintain the property right?

This was part of the email I got :
    The council would look after any tenant issues and the internal maintenance of the property for the term of the lease. You would still need to pay the structural insurance, annual service charge and local property tax and any other charges relating to the property that may be introduced during the term of the lease. The property must be furnished.

€1300 RAS scheme.
    €1145 LL scheme.

Reported private rental rate for the area was €1400. 4 bed 3 bath house.

Advertisement