Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I see a Hen Harrier?

Options
  • 14-03-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Today I spent some time in a place recommended for seeing hen harriers. I'm not a regular birdwatcher and have never seen one before so didn't go there expecting success...

A brown bird flew from the conifers and glided downward across the path and on past me into the moor/low trees. It was brown and notable larger than, say, a blackbird (I'm no good at judging size in the air). The thing that makes me think it may have been a hen harrier is that its most notable feature was a white band between its body and tail.

But I would have thought it would look much bigger? This didn't appear significantly larger than a kestrel.
    I couldn't say for certain it was a raptor. Is there another bird in the Slieve Blooms at this time of year that might fit the profile?

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

cfitz wrote: »
    Today I spent some time in a place recommended for seeing hen harriers. I'm not a regular birdwatcher and have never seen one before so didn't go there expecting success...

A brown bird flew from the conifers and glided downward across the path and on past me into the moor/low trees. It was brown and notable larger than, say, a blackbird (I'm no good at judging size in the air). The thing that makes me think it may have been a hen harrier is that its most notable feature was a white band between its body and tail.

But I would have thought it would look much bigger? This didn't appear significantly larger than a kestrel.
    I couldn't say for certain it was a raptor. Is there another bird in the Slieve Blooms at this time of year that might fit the profile?

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks
    The white band is very noticeable. Slow gliding flight close to ground (10m). No hovering like kestrel. Look at some youtube videos of Hen Harrier in flight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

The white band is very noticeable. Slow gliding flight close to ground (10m). No hovering like kestrel. Look at some youtube videos of Hen Harrier in flight

Checked out some videos - seems consistent with what I saw. But the sighting was short enough that it's hard to say. It was certainly a very slow glide, but it was only for about 20 metres before it landed.

The only other bird I can think of that might fit what I saw is a kestrel but I see them regularly so I think I'd probably have picked out its features at such close range if it was.
    So, on reflection, I think it likely was a hen harrier but still by no means sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

That white band is very distinctive and makes it sound like a HH alright.

Advertisement