Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing locks.

Options
  • 14-03-2015 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Im just wondering how many people when they start renting change the locks on the front door. Obviously you have to inform the landlord and give them a key. Just interested in how common place this is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

tkd93 wrote: »
    Im just wondering how many people when they start renting change the locks on the front door. Obviously you have to inform the landlord and give them a key. Just interested in how common place this is.

I did because euro lock on door was cheap easy snap type.

Wasn't locking properly anyway and just for that added bit of security knowing nobody else will have key from previous tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Just to give the background myself and my best mate are thinking of getting an apartment between just the two of us. Work long hours plus have college on top of it. Also would have alot of expensive gadgets and technology. A previous tenant having a copied key and helping themselves to our stuff when we are not there would be my main reason. Parents had most of their wedding presents stolen back in the day in this manner. Just curious if landlords have a issue with it ,if its done correctly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As a landlord I am currently preparing a house for letting. One of the first things I did was change the front door lock and rear patio door lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Keep old locks and keys put back when you leave simples

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need to do more than just let the landlord know - you'll need permission. I'd always suggest doing it if consent is given. Its a diy job in most cases although I'd see some landlords insisting on a locksmith doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

No, never. I have never come across a break-in where previous tenants were to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've never bothered changing locks in 16 years renting houses and apartments .
    If your worried about gadgets contents insurance is your first call .

Never heard of anyone doing it nor have I. I have been living in house shares though where people rent individual rooms so not really practical to change locks everytime a person leaves and a new person moves in. If I rented a full place changing the locks wouldn't be something the at even came into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's probably a bit over the top; if the previous tenants were forcibly removed, it's likely that the landlord would have replaced the locks. The landlord doesn't need anyone coming back in and vandalising his property or hassling his new tenants.

If you do change the locks, you have to remember to give the landlord a key. The landlord is permitted access to the property in an emergency, and if he finds the locks changed, then you will be billed for the cost of getting a locksmith or breaking down the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

this isn't something I've ever come across before. You aren't entitled to change the locks without the Landlord's prior consent and a Landlord might not be inclined to grant consent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Rasmus wrote: »
    No, never. I have never come across a break-in where previous tenants were to blame.

i have thrown weekends parties in house i used to live in with keys i kept
    this was in the 90's i'm nicer now

Advertisement