Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Art, how good do you have to be?

Options
  • 14-03-2015 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Okay so I'm in Transition year and I picked my LC subjects about a month ago. Biology Chemistry and Art. The only one I'm questioning is Art though. I really want to do good in the leaving cert but both English and Art worry me and I fear either of them will bring down my score. Both are so unpredictable!
    So my question is, to get an A1 in Art, do your craft pieces need to be Da Vinci standard or is it just a small step up if you got an A in the junior cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CmlR

Oisin4 wrote: »
    Okay so I'm in Transition year and I picked my LC subjects about a month ago. Biology Chemistry and Art. The only one I'm questioning is Art though. I really want to do good in the leaving cert but both English and Art worry me and I fear either of them will bring down my score. Both are so unpredictable!
    So my question is, to get an A1 in Art, do your craft pieces need to be Da Vinci standard or is it just a small step up if you got an A in the junior cert?

Its not just the craft you have to worry about, theres 4 art exams which is why only about 1% get an a1 in the leaving. Its doable though if youre good at art and writing art history essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fitzyg

Im in sixth year and hoping for an A in art. I also got an A in the junior cert, but honestly i dont think you can really compare leaving and junior cert art - theyre really different.
    obviously studying art history is a huge change, its a very broad and long course considering the exam only counts for 37.5% of your final mark. its actually fairly interesting, but if you dont like english you may not like it- its all about writing essays!
    regarding the practical ( i dont know anything about design im doing craft)- my teacher has shown us some examples from past students that have gotten As and,while they are very creative and well done, theyre not spectacular. i consider jc art to have been about learning skills, whereas i think in lc its more about thinking creatively and applying those skills in an interesting way.
    theres also still life and life drawing but if u got an A in jc i think you should be grand
    i think if you have a good art teacher you shouldnt be worried :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Just got my Art practical mocks back. In total I got a C1 grade (C2 in practical, B1 in art history) At fist this was a shock result for me because I am usually a student who would get 80+ in the practical side. However there is more to just being a good painter, a good drawer. There are so many categories they mark under. I scored very badly in interpretation (7/20) and Personal/Creative 10/20. A bit harsh imo but just shows how important creativity is, and bringing out your personality. But I only just found out the marking scheme so these are small enough things to improve on.
    Craft - I do poster. Again, layout, lettering are what I was marked down on. A lot. Life drawing - not too bad, probably the easiest imo. Once you practice, it comes naturally enough to you.

So art, really wants to see an understanding of your chosen craft and good creative skills. Being a good drawer etc will give you the best marks, in combination with that. Its like playing piano. An average piano player will just play their notes, an excellent piano player will use dynamics, expression and etc!!

A1 seems very difficult, with all the categories, and subjectivity. You need to be very well prepared and know exactly what they're looking for! The same with any subject, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

I'm in 6th year now, and like yourself I got an A in Junior Certificate Art and picked it for my leaving.
    Choosing Art is probably one of my biggest regrets if I'm honest with you, although most people get an Honour in it, only about 1% of the population get an A1.
    If I could go back in time I would stop myself from choosing Art and choose a more academic subject instead. It's a very difficult exam and there's so many aspects to cover. Although it's good to choose a subject that you like for the leaving, you're probably better off choosing a subject that's easier to get the points in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

English and Art worry me and I fear either of them will bring down my score. Both are so unpredictable!

Art History is far from unpredictable and it's 37.5% of your final grade.

As others have said, LC Art is very different from JC. It's very easy to get a C or a B in but very hard to get an A1 in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

I did art for my LC last year, and I'm not going to say Da Vinci standard, but they do have to be really really good to get an A1. I loved art for junior cert, got an A, and choosing it for leaving cert is one of my biggest regrets. I got a B2 overall, an A2 in the Art History paper, and C1s in all three practical pieces (Actually I got 68% in all three too, which I found pretty strange). I considered my still life and craft really good and I thought I was going to get an A2 or at least a B1. The practical exam itself is something I found really stressful as well, I was really under pressure to get things done and try not to make any mistakes because you only have a few hours.
    For the grade I got in art the amount of time and preparation I put into the practical part of the course really made me regret doing it.

Advertisement