Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with sickness?

Options
  • 13-03-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭

I'm dying at the moment with a stomach bug and don't deal with it very well. How do you handle it? I don't mean sniffles, im talking bed bound.

Are you the "I shan't last the night, the world was never meant for one as fair as I" type? Or are you angry at the sickness and highly focused on getting better? Im the former unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I get sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I hibernate til it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I er.. "dissapear".. Me heads killing me and I've a chest like a used pin cushion, you'll know I survived when you hear from me now go way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I don't. I have the constitution of a Shetland pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I resort to morbid soliloquies.

And never from this palace of dim night
    Depart again: here, here will I remain
    With worms that are thy chamber-maids; O, here
    Will I set up my everlasting rest,
    And shake the yoke of inauspicious stars
    From this world-wearied flesh. Eyes, look your last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I just power through...and usually end up making myself more (and a lot worse) sick by not taking time to get better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

If its not incapacitating, I grin and bear it. If it is, I lie there till it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Find it hard to be patient and recovery takes longer and don't like to take anything more than dispirin or ibuprofen, thankfully only been really sick (unable to get out of bed comfortably) once or twice in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Can't remember the last time I was sick.In saying that though I can't really afford to get sick either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I man up and ignore it until it goes away.

If you don't think about it, it will go away. Like bank loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Suck it up and get on with it, like adults do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Im talking movie-like sickness. Darkened room, cold sweats, vomiting, diarrhoea, fever, hallucinations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

The sickest I've been was with pregnancy.
    - Waking an hour early because I knew, with intermittent puking, it would take an hour to brush my teeth. (Puking set it off even worse.)
    - Taking the dirty looks as I walked in the city centre dressed nicely but puking into a bag, before I even looked pregnant. Because I had to get to work, and it was too early to let them know. But walking down Grafton St puking into a bag is NOT fun.
    - Carrying plastic bags at all times everywhere. Terrifying my baby sisters, when they came to visit Dublin, and I ended up throwing my guts up on the train when we were going to the zoo. They thought I was dying or something. It was just part of the day for me.
    - I used to manage the 45 minute bus home from work OK, but I'd literally puke constantly (into one of the bags I carried!) when walking from the bus stop the five minutes to my house. Got quite a few funny looks from the neighbours!
    - Most evenings, i didn't get that far. I had to get off in a strange area I didn't know and puke into my bag and wait for the next bus.
    - I remember sitting on a footpath by Phoenix Park, so sick I thought I would die. I'd vomited so much (in a bag - sick as I was, I wouldn't do it on the side of the street) that there was blood coming up. I ended up in St James for an MRI. But the amount of people that walked by an obviously pregnant and unwell woman was unreal. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

i have stitches in my eyeball, I'll take ALL the painkillers and eyedrops

- Waking an hour early because I knew, with intermittent puking, it would take an hour to brush my teeth. (Puking set it off even worse.)
    - Taking the dirty looks as I walked in the city centre dressed nicely but puking into a bag, before I even looked pregnant. Because I had to get to work, and it was too early to let them know. But walking down Grafton St puking into a bag is NOT fun.
    - Carrying plastic bags at all times everywhere. Terrifying my baby sisters, when they came to visit Dublin, and I ended up throwing my guts up on the train when we were going to the zoo. They thought I was dying or something. It was just part of the day for me.
    - I used to manage the 45 minute bus home from work OK, but I'd literally puke constantly (into one of the bags I carried!) when walking from the bus stop the five minutes to my house. Got quite a few funny looks from the neighbours!
    - Most evenings, i didn't get that far. I had to get off in a strange area I didn't know and puke into my bag and wait for the next bus.
    - I remember sitting on a footpath by Phoenix Park, so sick I thought I would die. I'd vomited so much (in a bag - sick as I was, I wouldn't do it on the side of the street) that there was blood coming up. I ended up in St James for an MRI. But the amount of people that walked by an obviously pregnant and unwell woman was unreal. :(

That's absolutely horrendous! Poor woman. I knew a girl who would be violently ill when she got her period. Had to always take days off work, felt bad for her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Flat 7up.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I crawl into bed and don't emerge for days. But Christ will I complain about it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Ush1 wrote: »
    Im talking movie-like sickness. Darkened room, cold sweats, vomiting, diarrhoea, fever, hallucinations...

If you were that bad you wouldn't be able to post on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Flat 7up.

Copyright the Irish Mammy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Whiskey and bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I don't really know if I believe this account to be 100% true. If it is, why weren't you on strong anti-emetics. Hyperemesis gravidarum is a very serious condition.

eternal wrote: »
    If you were that bad you wouldn't be able to post on here.

Im coming out the other side I think thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I currently have the flu (the real flu, not a cold, feels like a bus ran over me). I've spent the last 3 days at home from work, on the couch, sweating and shivering, drooling and making my girlfriend do everything for me. It's not pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sharmander

Dealing with the same right now OP. My way of coping is to take to the bed, throw on some mindless trash on Netflix, and complain to whomever's within earshot of me - whether on the internet or in person.

That, and calling on my partner to keep me in peppermint tea!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I get rather bad migraines (less frequently now, as I'm on medication for them, but they can still catch me out from time to time).

If it's just the headache, I'll have some neurofen and carry on a normal, maybe a bit slower than usual and more likely to burst into tears for little reason.

If it's a really full-blown attack, I can't do anything at all as I can't keep the medication down. Imagine the worst hangover you ever had - it's quite a bit worse than that. Plus, I didn't get to drink anything the day before ;)
    In those cases, I go to bed, drink some coca cola (German version of the 7Up cure), nibble some salt sticks (another German remedy, for upset tummy) and listen to old children's audio drama (The 3 investigators, from my childhood) as this will help me nod off and escape the pain for a while.

The only silver lining of a full-blown migraine attack for me is that it never lasts longer than 1 day. So I've usually got a good idea how long I'll have to suffer for, which makes it a lot easier to cope with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am a terrible patient. Constant complaining to whoever will listen. And the great thing about t'internet is that I can grumble to a much wider audience.
    Thankfully for the world I dont get sick very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Montroseee wrote: »
    I don't really know if I believe this account to be 100% true. If it is, why weren't you on strong anti-emetics. Hyperemesis gravidarum is a very serious condition.

I didn't have hyperemises. I only used to get sick after getting out of bed, and on the way to and from work. I don't think I ever puked in work, and rarely once I got home from work. I did ask the gp about taking something for it, but she said it wasn't worth the potential side-effects. She did suggest writing a letter so I could work from home (it was the public transport to and from work that would set it off), but that just wouldn't be possible in my job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

You poor thing, sickness in pregnancy is awful. I was the same and ended up spending most of my pregnancies in hospital. I would know I was pregnant even before a test because I would be so sick. I think its the sickest I have ever been.

Advertisement