Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The market place of ideas

Options
  • 13-03-2015 7:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭

Is boards not a great example of the market place of ideas?

The ideas that people like and are successful continue, grow and get stronger and the bad ones will just wither and die. Is that not good enough? You produce a bad product, no one will want it, it goes on the scrap heap. A good product will take hold.

Can we not let the market guide itself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I reckon no-ones gonna bail your thread out if it goes bust anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

NZT73 wrote: »
    I think it's more like a sports stadium where each side cheers for their opinion while booing the other one... and that continues until the time runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Every idea has been plagiarised upteen times,even the bad ones sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The ideas that people like and are successful continue, grow and get stronger and the bad ones will just wither and die. Is that not good enough? You produce a bad product, no one will want it, it goes on the scrap heap. A good product will take hold.

It's a really good example of the worlds longest game of 'Na na na na na na, I got the last word! :p'. Not sure if that's quite the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thinly veiled,"I wish the mods would stop closing my homophobic threads" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Yes, but if you happen to produce a good product that just happens to be illegal, there will still be demand but you will not be allowed to sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

lay off the early drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OP please come back and explain what you mean because there's nothing coherent enough to constitute either an argument or a hypothesis. What the heck do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

dmc17 wrote: »
    Yes, but if you happen to produce a good product that just happens to be illegal, there will still be demand but you will not be allowed to sell it.

Like drugs? That's probably why no one sells drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

OP please come back and explain what you mean because there's nothing coherent enough to constitute either an argument or a hypothesis. What the heck do you mean?

The way I understand it is he seems to want boards.ie to become unmoderated so that he is free to soapbox about how lgbt people are disordered and more violent.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Calibos wrote: »
    Thinly veiled,"I wish the mods would stop closing my homophobic threads" :D

^^^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭NZT73

Someone say it better than me:

The "marketplace of ideas" is a rationale for freedom of expression based on an analogy to the economic concept of a free market. The "marketplace of ideas" belief holds that the truth will emerge from the competition of ideas in free, transparent public discourse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭NZT73

Someone said it better than me:

The "marketplace of ideas" is a rationale for freedom of expression based on an analogy to the economic concept of a free market. The "marketplace of ideas" belief holds that the truth will emerge from the competition of ideas in free, transparent public discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe if you want an anarchistic free for all website where hate speech is unmoderated try somewhere else.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I would have thought your recent thread on homosexuality and genetics would tend to discredit this view. Good information, good research, badly misunderstood, backlash, thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Maybe if you want an anarchistic free for all website where hate speech is unmoderated try somewhere else.

Like that cesspit of hate known as /pol/? I swear I've seen a few trolls on here that seem to have come from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

God bless 4chan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Someone said it better than me.

Well, surprise surprise, that wouldn't be hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

That someone being wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketplace_of_ideas

Thanks for the copy and paste though, and managing to not say anything homophobic in your OP, for once.

Advertisement