Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's First Penis Transplant

Options
  • 13-03-2015 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised there isn't a thread already here about this. I don't know how they pulled it off. I hope they didn't make a cock up of it, etc…
    South African doctors have successfully performed the world’s first penis transplant on a young man who had his organ amputated after a botched circumcision ritual, a hospital said on Friday.
    The nine-hour transplant, which occurred in December last year, was part of a pilot study by Tygerberg Hospital in Cape Town and the University of Stellenbosch to help scores of initiates who either die or lose their penises in botched circumcisions each year.
    “This is a very serious situation. For a young man of 18 or 19 years the loss of his penis can be deeply traumatic,” said Andre van der Merwe, head of the university’s urology unit and who led the operation said in a statement.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/doctors-perform-world-s-first-penis-transplant-1.2138701

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

*Wonders could they attach a horse wang*

Like all medical advances that improve the quality of life of people, this is fantastic news and kudos to the docs who developed the technique and performed the op, it's going to be a life-changer for the recipient.

Neigh

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Andre van der Merwe

Sounds like Jonathan Ross trying to say Mary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Imagine the blood loss to your head anytime you got an erection. You'd be constantly passing out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Pleasurable Pursuit

Looks forward to a 50 page circumcision debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hopefully it came pre circumcised or he'll just be back in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hopefully its not like Snakes hair and has a mind of its own

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Lets spare a thought for the donor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't think the sheep would like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Many people carry an donor card saying that in the event of their death they want their organs to be donated to medicine. If this kind of procedure becomes widespread will this now be widened to include genitalia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Each year thousands of young men, mainly from the Xhosa tribe in South Africa, have their foreskins removed in traditional rituals, with experts estimating around 250 losing their penises each year to medical complications.

:eek:, they need to get better circumcision guys!

I would be very sad if I lost my willy.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Looks forward to a 50 page circumcision debate.

I'll get the ball rolling: foreskin protects the penis gland from calluses developing on the surface. If a man develops a callus on his penis, he may lose his sensitivity and could lose the ability to have an orgasm.

I should be banned until the boy become a man at 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Surprised there isn't a thread already here about this. I don't know how they pulled it off. I hope they didn't make a cock up of it, etc…

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/doctors-perform-world-s-first-penis-transplant-1.2138701
    They 'want to help scores of initiates who either die or lose their penises'?

I can't imagine a big demand from dead initiates for a penis transplant:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

antodeco wrote: »
    Sounds like Jonathan Ross trying to say Mary

Merway fwum Bway in county Wickflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I can't imagine a big demand from dead initiates for a penis transplant:rolleyes:

That would depend on their view of the afterlife. Not familiar with Xhosa religious beliefs but I do know that some cultures would believe the body you get in the hereafter is dependent upon it being whole & pure when you die.

Advertisement