Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming laptop

Options
  • 13-03-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new gaming laptop and wondered if you guys can help me find something good. Price is not an object.
    Currently I have a 2.5 year old Alienware 18x r2.
    I use it for gaming, general use etc. I want something a little more portable, perhaps with a smaller power brick too. The alienware has an i7 (3rd gen), 2x7970m graphics cards which still run basically any game on high or very high quality even a full 2.5 years after I bought it.
    I have 16 gigs of RAM, a 1TB hard disk, a 120gb mSata(1) SSD and a 480gb SSD.
    I do a lot of travel and this laptop is just too heavy to bring along. It weighs in at 5.9kg without the power brick, which is approx 1kg. I like to travel light, and only use carry on luggage. This puts me way too close to the 11-12kg limit for carry on.

I can take the hard disks out and bring them with me to a new laptop, if that's possible. Although price isn't an issue, it is always nice to keep the price down.

I want something supercharged that would be the on par with the AW in terms of build quality and power for gaming, but much lighter. I want 17" screen or bigger, IPS if possible.
    I was waiting for the 2015 Razer Blade Pro which was released today, but I was sorely disappointed to see that it only ships with a low powered GFX card (960m).
    I was looking at the Aorus x7 http://www.aorus.com/x7pro.aspx which is light, has a 17" screen and has 2x970m graphics cards. But the reviews all complain that it runs too hot and is very loud.
    So Boards, can you help me? I'm looking for an i7, 12+gb ram, 970m as a minimum, 17" screen or larger.
    I found this post really helpful:
    http://www.ultrabookreview.com/5729-gaming-laptops-nvidia-970m-980m/

Right now I am considering the Asus ROG, but really, it's still quite a heavy machine.
    I appreciate that you need a decent amount of metal to take away all the heat from a 980m, so maybe a single 970m would be better?
    Maybe I should go for the Aorus 2x970m and just disable one of the cards?

Edit: If it's only available in the USA that is ok as I can get it there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

Does it have to be 17 inch? The Aorus X5 looks very nice, and is super slim to boot (plus dual 965m in SLI). I think if you really want gaming portability, a 15" is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Any recommendation from the KOMPLETT website for gaming. The Acer nitro's look ok. Just want to run prison architect. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Elessar wrote: »
    Does it have to be 17 inch? The Aorus X5 looks very nice, and is super slim to boot (plus dual 965m in SLI). I think if you really want gaming portability, a 15" is your best bet.
    The X5 looks great but I don't see much reason to go SLI on a thin laptop. I think it would be super hot with loud fans. I would go for the x7 pro but for the same reason. I will definitely keep an eye out for reviews of cooling on those 965m chips in the X5 though. As the reviews come out I will see if people have the same concerns.
    thanks dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

would you consider the MSI GT 72 or the MSI GT 80 Titan (this is 18 inches tho).

965m is too low for gaming would prefer 970m (6gb) or 980m (8gb) on MSI GT 72

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Both of those laptops are great but both are still way too heavy. I may have to compromise with the 965m which, unlike the 960m isn't "too far" behind the 970m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Taracove198

Thanks Gone West. I have confused between 965m and 970m. But, now I'm clear about it.

Advertisement