Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved in, receiver appointed.

Options
  • 13-03-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone else found themselves in a similar situation and how was it handled. A bit of background:-

My OH and I were renting a property for 4 years when the landlord decided to sell, we had no dealings with her as it was managed by a letting agent. It took us nearly 3 months to find a place as we have pets but through the same letting agent, they found us a suitable house. We jumped at it and then were told we’d have to move in within a week or they would “have to advertise it”. We had other obligations at the time which made a move that quickly impossible, but we couldn’t afford to lose the house so we agreed to pay rent on both properties, overlapping for a week to give us the time we needed.

Less than 2 weeks after we moved in, we received a termination of tenancy notice from the LL giving us 28 days to vacate, we immediately contacted the agent's office who claimed they knew nothing about it. However we don’t believe that because as it turns out, the LL is the letting agent's father who was at one point director in the company.

This week we received a letter from the receivers advising on the appointment, which was put in place on the same date as the termination notice. In the receiver's letter, they advise we should continue to pay rent to the letting agent as normal. We rang the property manager who again claimed to know nothing about the receivership, but her name is on the receiver’s letter as a point of contact for queries. She has lied to us on a number of occasions, including the move to get us in quickly (and I have proof of same) so we don’t believe a word from her at this stage. They had to have known about the receivers before offering us the house.

We’ve been trying to speak with someone in the receiver’s office to find out where we stand re the termination notice as effectively the house is out of the LL’s hands now, but we’re only getting voicemails and no one is calling us back. My OH spoke with someone in Threshold who was unable to give him a clear answer as there is no precedence set, but she thinks we should be ok to stay beyond the termination date until we find somewhere else.

Obviously we are raging over the entire situation but what we need to find out is can we ignore the LL’s termination notice. We’re under no illusions that we’ll be staying long term, we know the house will be sold but we need time. If the LL’s notice is valid, we only have 2 weeks to find somewhere.

If you’ve gotten this far, thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Did you get a fixed term lease?

Pats husband here - the exact wording of the term is:

TERM Periodic 12 Month Tenancy Agreement, and month by month thereafter, 4-Year Cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What about your deposit? You know it could be impossible to get back. I'd ask to arrange a meeting with the receiver face to face, if you have to go down there on Wednesday and cold call them.

What about your deposit? You know it could be impossible to get back. I'd ask to arrange a meeting with the receiver face to face, if you have to go down there on Wednesday and cold call them.

Oh yeah, apparently the deposit is now with the agent (landlords son), but I'll be working on the presumption that we won't be getting that back from them.

To be fair, the receiver just called me and we had a good conversation - he went through the steps they'll be taking and what our rights were - everything above board, and looks like they'll be understanding if/when it comes to us moving on and the time it takes to find somewhere suitable.
    He'll be meeting with the landlords next week before the agents to sell/rent the properties are appointed and will fill us in after that on what exactly is happening.

He was very very interested in the fact that we were given a lease just 2 weeks before the whole receivership process was - highly irregular and he'll be bringing that up during the meeting next week.

Esentially, I was told to ignore the landlords eviction notice, carry on paying rent and we'll sort things once they have definite arrangements in place. We're going nowhere soon essentially I suppose, at least not until we find the right place!

Advertisement