Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Violence in LGBT relationships Greater than in Straight Relationships

Options
  • 13-03-2015 2:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭

Looks like trouble in paradise

Studies show domestic abuse in LGBT relationships is much higher than in straight relationships.

21.5 percent for men and 35.4 percent for women in same sex relationships experience domestic violence as opposed to only 7.1 percent for men and women in relationships.

Doesn't that fly in the face of those who claim gay couples do a better job of raising children?

Doesn't that tell us something about the propaganda we've been exposed to recently?

advocate.com/crime/2014/09/04/2-studies-prove-domestic-violence-lgbt-issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

"NZT73 wrote: »
    Doesn't that fly in the face of those who claim gay couples do a better job of raising children?

I've never seen that said, ever. Do you have a link to a thread where people were making that claim?

I wouldn't be reevaluating my support for same sex marriage on the basis of this report, because its completely irrelevant to that issue. But I'm not sure if you are linking the 2 issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LLMMML

NZT73 wrote: »

Doesn't that tell us something about the propaganda we've been exposed to recently?

You seem quite pleased about it. Doesn't that tell us something about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom. NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Did they include the bisexual and transgenders in the study?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭NZT73

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    But I'm not sure if you are linking the 2 issues.

I'm just sharing information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Studies show domestic abuse in LGBT relationships is much higher than in straight relationships.

21.5 percent for men and 35.4 percent for women in same sex relationships experience domestic violence as opposed to only 7.1 percent for men and women in relationships.

What's your point? Domestic violence is an issue in all kinds of intimate relationships. You're no more likely to be abusive simply because you're gay. You might be less likely to seek help due to lack of services and privacy issues however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Studies show domestic abuse in LGBT relationships is much higher than in straight relationships. TWO studies.

21.5 percent for men and 35.4 percent for women in same sex relationships experience domestic violence as opposed to only 7.1 percent for men and women in relationships. 7.1% and 20.4% for men and women, respectively

Doesn't that fly in the face of those who claim gay couples do a better job of raising children? Who claims that? Link?

Doesn't that tell us something about the propaganda we've been exposed to recently? What propaganda? Link?

Homophobic much?

kneemos wrote: »
    Did they include the bisexual and transgenders in the study?

Read about it in the link

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Homophobic much?

I do not have an irrational fear of gay people. Where do you even get that stupid word from anyway, it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This is is the link to the full report that site claims to reference cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/nisvs_report2010-a.pdf

there is absolutely no mention of sexual orientation at all that i can find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Have you read the actual studies? The link quite clearly has a political agenda, which is fine, most media does, but I'd like to know the sample sizes etc. Without that kind of info the article is useless. Do you have the links? The article didn't link them at all, poor journalism really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I do not have an irrational fear of gay people. Where do you even get that stupid word from anyway, it makes no sense.

No, you just have an irrational fear of giving them equal rights. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It could be that LGBT are more inclined to report abuse. There isn't a misunderstanding of the opposite sex excuse with them either.

It is a bit surprising that the women are more likely to turn to violence. You'd almost think that two lads that have a lovers tiff could easily resort to blows and it turn into a right punch up. They are still full of testosterone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Read about it in the link

Can't on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That you don't like it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

..ahahahahahahaha....ahhh gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Have you read the actual studies? The link quite clearly has a political agenda, which is fine, most media does, but I'd like to know the sample sizes etc. Without that kind of info the article is useless. Do you have the links? The article didn't link them at all, poor journalism really.

full report here cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/nisvs_report2010-a.pdf

no mention of sexual orientation at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

35 posts on boards and EVERY SINGLE one of them negative commentary about homosexuality. Yep, Id say that makes you a homophobe alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This might help you OP: http://www.skyscanner.ie/flights-to/ru/cheap-flights-to-russia.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

eviltwin wrote: »
    What's your point? Domestic violence is an issue in all kinds of intimate relationships. You're no more likely to be abusive simply because you're gay. You might be less likely to seek help due to lack of services and privacy issues however.

how do you know this? It seems full of assumption.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It could be that LGBT are more inclined to report abuse. There isn't a misunderstanding of the opposite sex excuse with them either.

It is a bit surprising that the women are more likely to turn to violence. You'd almost think that two lads that have a lovers tiff could easily resort to blows and it turn into a right punch up. They are still full of testosterone.

I worked (2002 I think) in a well known gay venue on georges street in Dublin for almost a year as a part time doorman.
    Given my previous experience as doorman I was shocked at the level of open physical violence between couples.
    I was warned of this by the head doorman when i first started.
    It didn't happen in other venues.
    I assumed at the time it was because two of the same gender is more acceptable than a mixed gender punch up.

I remember one incident a fella pushed his bf down the back stairs on purpose and he bounced off the small landing and then down the second flight. It was really bad luck. Probably couldn't have been replicated if we tried.
    I grabbed the culprit and offered to get the law involved. The victim said no, it was just a misunderstanding and they went home together.

Just my experience .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ScumLord wrote: »
    This.

It's too simplistic to claim that LGBT relationships are inherently more violent.

You also have to consider the nature of the data. The data didn't indicate that 20/40% of LGTB relationships were abusive, but that these percentages of LGBT people had experienced violence in a relationship at point in their lifetime.

Have a think about that. Ask straight men how many times they've been involved in a violent altercation with another man in their lifetime, and your percentage will be close to 100%. Likewise women; I imagine most women have at some point been involved in a row with another woman that could be described as "physical".

And there's no shame or stigma about this. It's a fact of life that growing up you get into the odd fight.
    But there is a stigma about domestic violence across genders. It's worse for man than it is for women, but it's bad for both genders. Such that many people will deny it when asked.

In fact many will forget it. Some behaviours are so normalised, that many people will forget it happened. Got a smack across the face from a girlfriend? Had a laugh about it, gone. Your boyfriend lost his temper and pushed you across the room? He was really wound up and a bit drunk, it's OK.

These behaviours may not be considered normal in same-sex relationships, hence the tendency to recall and willingness to report such behaviours.

In short: Insufficient data for a meaningful conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭tritium

Tbh the figures the op quotes for abuse (severe and all forms) are so out of sync withe the 2005 national crime council study of this area, o e of the few piece done with at least a limited agenda, that I can't give the op very much credibility

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

So you have a rational reason why you're afraid of gay people?

Is it because all gay people are just waiting for their first opportunity to get you on your own so they can have their dirty way with you?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If the study found out the opposite to be case, would the OP be calling for the outlawing of heterosexual marriage I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Does NZT73 believe the victims of domestic violence in same sex relationships should be denied access to the necessary support services too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

MrWalsh wrote: »
    21.5 percent for men and 35.4 percent for women in same sex relationships experience domestic violence as opposed to only 7.1 percent for men and women in relationships. 7.1% and 20.4% for men and women, respectively

21.5% of men who have male partners reported physcial abuse. 20.4% of women who have male partners did. That is not a big difference. It should also be put it in the context that most men have a much greater inhibition about being violent towards women than towards other men. Thinking of it in this context makes me inclined to view the evidence as indicating gay men are in fact less violent, not more violent.

There is a huge difference between 35.4% of women who have female partners and 7.1% of men who have female partners reporting violence. I would say that there is a level of under-reporting female to male violence, but I think the difference is too great to be explained by that. So the evidence does seem to indicate lesbians are more inclined to be violent than straight women.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You still haven't provided a single shred of evidence that you aren't just making these people up.

Dress your homophobia up all you want, but you have only 35 posts and yet have started 3 threads relating to gay issues.

Your homophobic agenda will not be tolerated here and if you continue to push it, you will be permanently banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement