Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy McGrane RIP - A legend of Irish Karate passes on

Options
  • 13-03-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Sad news yesterday about the passing of sensei Tommy McGrane, founder of the Karate Union of Ireland and chief instructor there for 31 years before his retirement from that role in 2003. Even in retirement Tommy continued to be active in the karate world, both in his training and his teaching and grading work. I think it's fairly safe to say that almost everybody who has been training Shotokan karate during the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's and 2000's has come across Tommy at least once. He became known as the Father of Karate in Ireland and his passing will be much mourned by those who had the pleasure of knowing him.

image003.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sorry to hear that. A loss to the karate community no doubt.

RIP a warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I trained with sensei Tommy many times in the 1980's, and he was truly unreal. I thought he was impressive back then to be able to deliver such energy at his age, but I spoke and trained with him more recently and was blown away by how much of that energy he still carried as an octogenarian. Beneath the determination and toughness he was a gentleman, and a real inspiration. I can only hope to being nearly as decent and humble when I reach that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

trained alongside him in the early 70's. a true martial artist and gentlemen.

Advertisement